Lt. Gen Noble Thamburaj takes over as Vice Chief of the Army staffJanuary 1st, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 1 (ANI): Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj assumed the office of Vice Chief of the Army staff here today.
Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj, a 1969 batch officer, had a distinguished career spanning 38 years.
Associated with the Armed Forces services right from childhood, this second generation officer is an alumnus of King George’’s Military School Chail, Sainik Schools Amravati Nagar and Jamnagar, and the 34th NDA Course, before he was commissioned into the Bombay Sappers.
An alumnus of Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, the General has done his Senior Command, Higher Command and NDC Courses. He is also accredited with higher technical qualification, M Tech (Bldg Sc) from IIT Delhi and M Phil (Defence Studies) from Indore University.
During his illustrious career, the General has held many important assignments including that of a Brigade Major of a Mountain Brigade, command of 411 parachute field company, command of his parent unit 109 engineer regiment in high altitude area in the eastern region.
He commanded a Rashtriya Rifle sector in counter Insurgency environment during ”Operation VIJAY” and an infantry division during ”Operation PARAKRAM”, in deserts.
Besides, he has been an instructor in Defence Services Staff College Officers Training Academy, Chennai. A paratrooper, the General still participates in the para drops whenever opportunity comes his way.
For his distinguished service, the General has been awarded Sena Medal and Chief of the Army Staff commendation card twice in his career.
In his career spanning 39 years, the General has seen action during Indo-Pak war, counter insurgency in North East and Jammu and Kashmir.
The General is married to Anita Thamburaj and has two daughters. (ANI)
- Lt. Gen. Thamburaj new Indian Army vice chief - Jan 01, 2009
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- New chief of staff for Eastern Naval Command - May 02, 2011
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- Lieutenant General PC Bhardwaj takes over as Army Vice Chief - Oct 01, 2009
- S. Ravi Shankar to head Border Roads - Oct 27, 2010
- Air Marshal Roy takes over as NDC commandant - Jan 21, 2011
- Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj to take over as next Army vice chief in October - Sep 01, 2009
- Lt General Nair takes charge as Military Secretary - Feb 01, 2010
- Indian Army vice chief appointment may spark succession row - Sep 01, 2009
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Lt Gen P.C. Bhardwaj takes over as army vice chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Bhardwaj takes over as Indian Army vice chief Thursday - Sep 30, 2009
Tags: army staff, brigade command, counter insurgency, defence services, defence studies, engineer regiment, iit delhi, illustrious career, indo pak war, infantry division, jammu and kashmir, jamnagar, lieutenant general, m phil, m tech, operation vijay, sainik schools, staff college, technical qualification, vice chief