Lt Gen Bhardwaj takes over as Northern Army Command chiefMarch 1st, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, Mar 1 (ANI): Lt. Gen. P C Bhardwaj on Saturday took over as the chief of the Udhampur-based Northern Command of the Indian Army.
Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj succeeds Lt. Gen. H.S. Panag, who has been transferred to the Lucknow-based Central Command.
Before taking charge, Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj was commanding the Leh-based 14 Corps of the Indian Army that looks after the frontiers with China, Kashmir and also guards the Siachen glacier, the highest battlefield in the world.
Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj has vast experience in the terror-hit Jammu and Kashmir having been the Brigadier General Staff at Nagrota, the headquarters of 16 Corps in 2000-01, when militancy was at its peak and infiltration at its highest level.
He has also commanded the Delta Force, a counter insurgency force in Doda.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Indian Military Academy and Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, Lt. Gen.Bhardwaj was commissioned into the first battalion of the Parachute Regiment in June 1970.
He has also received training at Special Forces School, Fort Bragg.
A recipient of Vir Chakra in the 1971 India-Pakistan war, Lt. Gen.Bhardwaj has commanded the elite Parachute Brigade and was the defence attache in Myanmar from 1994 to 1997. (ANI)
- Lt Gen P.C. Bhardwaj takes over as army vice chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Bhardwaj takes over as Indian Army vice chief Thursday - Sep 30, 2009
- Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj to take over as next Army vice chief in October - Sep 01, 2009
- Indian Army vice chief appointment may spark succession row - Sep 01, 2009
- Indian Army Northern Command gets new chief - Mar 01, 2008
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Lt. Gen. S.K Singh to be next army vice chief - Oct 10, 2011
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Army chief witnesses exercise in Ladakh - Apr 20, 2011
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Last veteran of 1971 war Gen. Ghosh retires - May 31, 2012
- Key Indian Army, IAF commanders meet; talk synergy - Jul 16, 2012
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Amidst age row, Indian Army chief meets key aides - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: army command, army lt, bhardwaj, command chief, counter insurgency, defence attache, defence services, delta force, first battalion, general staff, india pakistan war, indian army, indian military academy, jammu, national defence academy, northern army, parachute brigade, parachute regiment, siachen glacier, staff college