Lord Byrons boorish way of fobbing off his female fansJune 22nd, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): He might have the honour of being called Englands greatest romantic poet, but when it came to fobbing off his female admirers, Lord Byron chose a rather boorish way.
The female fans would send him locks of hair with their fan letters. And to swoon over in return, Byron sent them clippings not from his own head but from his pet Newfoundland dog, it has been claimed.
John Murray VII, chairman of his familys publishing house, which was founded in 1768 and worked with Byron, said the story had been passed down through the generations, reports Times Online.
Murray said the fans to whom Byron sent the hair would have been under the impression that it was his, but it sometimes belonged to his beloved dog Boatswain. Byron was devoted to Boatswain and to send the women his hair was his little joke.
The publishing houses archives explored in a new book, The Seven Lives of John Murray, to be published in July contain more than 100 locks of hair from women Byron seduced.
They include one of his most famous lovers, Lady Caroline Lamb, who was so obsessed with Byron that after he ended their relationship she cut off her locks to make herself look like a Cambridge choirboy he had recently seduced.
The hair fragments have been kept since the 19th century in a small envelope in the archives of John Murray, labelled Caro Lamb hair. Many of Lambs letters to Byron are also in the archive. (ANI)
- 85-yr-old letter reveals the man who cured King George's stammer - Mar 02, 2011
- Lord Byron had a huge collection of female admirers'' letters - Aug 14, 2008
- Lord Byrons racy life of bling, booze and groupie sex revealed - Aug 15, 2008
- Dev Anand Bollywood's original style icon: Designers - Dec 04, 2011
- Mother abandons its Dalmatian lamb - Aug 10, 2012
- Rohit Shetty, a charmer (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Chinese farmer claims sheep gave birth to 'puppy' - Mar 26, 2011
- Einstein's letters, documents go online - Mar 20, 2012
- We will miss our first hero: Kaka's female fans - Jul 18, 2012
- A sex scandal from Bush's boozy days! - Nov 07, 2010
- Dog 'Saira' has sex change - Dec 21, 2010
- What Makes Robert Pattinson So Irresistibly Alluring? - Nov 11, 2010
- SRK salutes girls with long hair! - Mar 14, 2011
- Jack And Jill - Come Tumbling From The Hill(IANS Movie Review -Rating:*1/2) - Nov 26, 2011
- John Lennon's Personal Letters To Be Published - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: admirers, boatswain, byrons, choirboy, clippings, famous lovers, fan letters, female fans, fragments, honour, john murray, lady caroline lamb, lambs, lord byron, newfoundland dog, publishing house, publishing houses, romantic poet, seven lives, swoon