Londoners turn gorillas for a day to raise money!September 28th, 2008 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, September 28 (ANI): Hundreds of people in London dressed themselves in gorilla outfits to raise money for charity.
Approximately 750 runners participated in the 2008 Great Gorilla Charity Run setting a world-record for the largest-ever gathering of people wearing gorilla costumes.
The 7km event that took place in London on September 27 had been organised by The Gorilla Organization - a charity based to protect Central African gorillas from becoming extinct.
Hoping to raise 200,000 pounds, Jillian Miller, the charity director claimed that the event was becoming more successful with every passing year.
“The event has got better every year and the atmosphere among the runners and spectators is incredible, Telegraph quoted him as saying.
Bill Oddie, the conservationist and BBC’’s Springwatch presenter, who fired the starting pistol, said: “It is great that people are prepared to put so much effort into something so worthy, while maintaining such good humour.” (ANI)
- Seven month pregnant Radcliffe to run for charity - Jun 16, 2010
- Damian Aspinall Reunites With Gorilla Kwibi - May 17, 2010
- Mulligan to lead Memory Walk - Jun 23, 2012
- Spice Girls to auction iconic clothes - Jun 29, 2012
- Gorilla on the run turns out to be charity runner! - Sep 26, 2009
- Peter Andre setting up cancer foundation - Jul 18, 2012
- Dragon*Con 2010 sets world record for biggest gathering of people in Star Trek costumes - Sep 13, 2010
- UN agency holds Gaza's first-ever marathon - May 06, 2011
- Lily, Victoria donate designer bags to charity - May 31, 2012
- Gorilla duo dismantles poachers' trap - Jul 20, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Elton John lashes out at gay marriage opponents - Jan 21, 2011
- Clooney likes strong women - Aug 10, 2011
- My grandmom has a very good sense of humour: Prince Harry - Mar 12, 2012
- Malaria came from gorillas thousands of years ago - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: atmosphere, bbc, bill oddie, charity director, conservationist, costumes, good humour, gorilla, gorillas, money, pistol, place in london, runners, spectators, springwatch, telegraph, world record