Local bodies poll in Kashmir from April 13March 14th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 14 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir will have a 16-phase poll, starting April 13, for the over 4,000 panchayats (village councils) in the state, officials said Monday.
Polling for the 4,128 panchayats all across the state will start on April 13 and end by June 30, having 16 phases in all, the state’s Chief Electoral Officer B.R. Sharma said at a press conference here.
The state government earlier Monday said it will hold elections to local bodies as per the state’s own laws and will not amend the constitution in order to follow the national pattern.
Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar told the legislative assembly that the local bodies elections will be held as per the state’s own Panchayati Raj Act, which will not be changed in accordance with the 73rd and 74th amendments to the Indian Constitution.
The 73rd and 74th amendments envisage elections at village, block and district levels and planning and executive powers entrusted with the heads of these local bodies, reducing the role of the state government and the ministers.
Sagar said some changes will be effected, but the amendments would not be incorporated in full.
Separatists have given a call for the boycott of polls, while the opposition parties like the Peoples Democratic Party and the Bharatiya Janata Party were insisting that the polls should be held as per the 73rd and 74th amendments to make the panchayat system effective in the state.
- Jammu and Kashmir not for national pattern in local polls - Mar 14, 2011
- Kashmir Youth Congress marches for more panchayat powers - Aug 24, 2012
- Kashmir BJP slams Congress for 'misleading' people - Aug 26, 2012
- Power will shift from secretariat to panchayats: Omar - Jul 01, 2011
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011
- National Conference not keen for district councils in Kashmir - Jan 29, 2011
- After successful election, 35,000 Kashmiri panchayat members to be trained - Nov 23, 2011
- Omar aims at more power to panchayats - Feb 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh emphasises on need to strengthen panchayats - Apr 24, 2011
- Commemoration of 'National Panchayati Raj Divas' on Sunday - Apr 22, 2011
- PM lauds high turnout at Kashmir panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Panchayat polls commence in Jammu - Apr 13, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to confer awards to Panchayati Raj institutions today - Apr 24, 2011
- Kashmir cabinet panel to meet Saturday over panchayat polls - Jan 28, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls begin Wednesday - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: ali mohammad, amendments, bharatiya janata party, boycott, chief electoral officer, development minister, executive powers, indian constitution, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, legislative assembly, opposition parties, panchayati raj, r sharma, rural development, sagar, separatists, state government, state officials, village councils