Livestock sellers earn huge profits in Kashmir ahead of Eid festivalNovember 26th, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir), Nov 26 (ANI): The livestock sellers here are making huge profits ahead of the Eid-Al-Adha, the feast of sacrifice.
Eid-Al-Adha, also known as Eid-ul-Zuha or Bakr-Eid, is celebrated every year to mark the end of pilgrimage to the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
The festival is celebrated in the last month of the year according to the Islamic calendar.This year, Eid-al-Adha falls on November 28.
The Muslims sacrifice the goats on Eid-al-Adha and distribute the meat among the poorer relations, friends and the needy.
Livestock owners make their best profit of the year during this festival.
“There is a big difference in these days. Normally we sell one-two sheep. But these days we sell around 200-400 sheep. There is rush all day, today as well there was huge rush here,” said Imtiyaz Ahmad, a sheep seller.
The buying and selling of cows, calves, goats, sheep and camels have a special importance on Eid-al-Adha.
Muslims believe that the sacrifice is important for attaining unity with Allah. Rich or poor, everybody has to offer some sacrifice according to one’s affordability.
“We have come here to Eidgah, this makes us happy, we buy sheep to sacrifice in the praise of Allah. That is the reason all of us have gathered here to buy sheep,” said Abdul Gani Sheikh, a customer.
According to the Holy Quran, God appeared in Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham’s) dream and asked him to sacrifice something that was most dear to him.
Prophet Ibrahim decided to sacrifice his own son, Ismail. However, when he put a knife on Ismail’s throat, God replaced his son with a goat through a miracle.
The festival seeks to convey the message that sacrifice is supreme.
The festival of Eid-al-Adha is also associated with the Haj pilgrimage, which every able-bodied Muslim must perform at least once in a lifetime. (ANI)
- Kashmir markets abuzz with shoppers for the Eid festival - Nov 27, 2009
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- Goats costly ahead of "Eid-ul-Adha" - Nov 14, 2010
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Muslims celebrate Eid Al Adha today - Nov 28, 2009
- Delhi's star goat this Eid costs Rs.1.5 lakh - Nov 06, 2011
- Goat sales decline in Srinagar ahead of Eid-al Adha - Nov 16, 2010
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Be it Mammootty or common Muslims, Eid-ul-Azha touches all - Nov 17, 2010
- Sacrifice essence of life: Message of Eid-ul-Azha (Comment) - Nov 17, 2010
- Sheep, goats get pricey as Kashmiris shop for Eid - Nov 26, 2009
- Eid brings back smiles to Kashmiri faces - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: bakr eid, city of mecca, eid al adha, eid festival, eid ul zuha, feast of sacrifice, gani, haj pilgrimage, holy city of mecca, holy quran, imtiyaz, islamic calendar, jammu and kashmir, livestock owners, livestock sellers, month of the year, muslim holy, praise of allah, prophet ibrahim, son ismail