Liquid milk sold by three Chinese firms contaminatedSeptember 19th, 2008 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 19 (ANI): Liquid milk sold by three leading Chinese companies is contaminated with melamine, leading to four infant deaths caused by the chemical.
The fourth death was reported from the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region on Thursday. Two kids in Gansu and one in Zhejiang had fallen victim to contaminated milk earlier.
A total of 6,244 infants who were fed contaminated milk food produced by Sanlu Group have been diagnosed with various urinary tract problems, including kidney stones.
Police in Shijiazhuang, where Sanlu is based, said 12 people were arrested yesterday for their alleged involvement in the milk food scandal, taking the total number of arrests to 18, the China Daily reported.
Tests conducted on liquid milk over the past few days showed 24 of the 1,202 batches were contaminated, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) said in a report.
The AQSIQ, however, quoted scientists, as saying the contamination level in liquid milk did not pose a big threat to people’’s health. Even milk with the highest concentration of melamine is safe for a 60-kg or heavier adult if he or she drinks up to two liters a day.
The highest concentration of melamine was found in Bright Dairy products. Every kg of its liquid milk contained 8.6 mg of melamine.
The three firms” milk powder products, too, had tested positive for melamine, and they had started recalling those products. (ANI)
- China sets limit on melamine in baby food - Apr 21, 2011
- Two executed in China for contaminating milk - Nov 24, 2009
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- Chinese firm recalls contaminated baby food - Sep 12, 2008
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- China's contaminated baby food toll rises to four (Lead) - Sep 18, 2008
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- Melamine-tainted milk: China begins trial of dairy firm officials - Dec 31, 2008
- Chinese dairy giants issue first public apology for scandal - Oct 13, 2008
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- Chinese companies involved in milk scandal to compensate victims - Dec 27, 2008
Tags: aqsiq, batches, china daily, chinese companies, chinese firms, contamination level, dairy products, food scandal, gansu, general administration, infant deaths, kidney stones, liquid milk, milk powder, quality supervision, quarantine, shijiazhuang, urinary tract problems, xinjiang uygur autonomous region, zhejiang