LeT recruitment module busted in KashmirJuly 4th, 2012 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 4 (IANS) A recruitment module of the terror group Laskhar-e-Taiba (LeT) has been busted in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district and seven peoplehave been arrested, police said Wednesday, adding that a “major terror and subversion plan” has been averted.
Locals were being recruited into the LeT to “execute various terrorist actions” in Sopore, about 50 km from here, a police statement said. A Pakistani terrorist called Fahadullah was also operating in the area, it added.
“Police in Sopore town have busted a recruitment module of terrorist outfit LeT, thus averting a major terror and subversion plan of the terrorists. Seven members of the terror module were arrested from different areas of Sopore town and adjoining areas,” the statement said.
It added that “local boys were recruited into the outfit, building a network of LeT operatives who were bent upon executing various terrorist actions in and around Sopore in criminal conspiracy with one Pakistani terrorist code-named Fahadullah, who is operating in Sopore”
Fahadullah had been taking directions from a terrorist code-named Hanzullah, an LeT commander based in Pakistan.
“Fahadullah is the only surviving active LeT terrorist of Pakistani origin in Sopore. After being indoctrinated with Jihadi ideology, the group members had formally joined LeT organisation and were provided the communication gadgets and weaponry,” the police statement said.
“Before being baptised into the organisation. the members of the module have been assigned various tasks of couriering the weapons and money, identifying the targets vis-a-vis security installations and arranging communication devices.”
According to police, some members of the module were preparing to visit Pakistan on “legal documents to get further training in bomb making and other terrorist activities, while others were preparing other terrorist actions including grenade attacks on VIP rallies and attacks on police and security forces”.
Ammunition and weapons, including an under-barrel grenade launcher (UBGL), a detonator, a rocket launcher and four hand grenades, were seized.
- Two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants killed in Handwara identified as Pakistan nationals - Nov 29, 2010
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir, arms cache recovered - Aug 27, 2012
- Kashmir police busts Lashkar module - Jan 05, 2012
- LeT car-bomber module busted in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Jharkhand terror suspect taken to Delhi (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Jundal was planning another 26/11-type strike: Investigators - Jul 06, 2012
- LeT now targets local youths with passports: Police - Mar 02, 2012
- Islamabad Police foil terror bid - Oct 01, 2011
- Terrorist arrested in Jharkhand to be handed over to Delhi Police - Mar 01, 2012
- Jharkhand terror suspect taken to Delhi (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Second Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir - May 31, 2011
- Kashmir stone pelters, separatists have nexus with LeT: Police - Nov 27, 2010
- Lashkar hideout busted in Kishtawar - Jan 21, 2010
Tags: baptised, bomb making, communication devices, communication gadgets, criminal conspiracy, further training, grenade attacks, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, legal documents, local boys, pakistani origin, police statement, security installations, srinagar, subversion, terror group, terrorist actions, terrorist activities, weaponry