LeT militant killed in Jammu on eve of Antony visitApril 27th, 2009 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 27 (IANS) A Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant was killed in a gunbattle with the army in Jammu and Kashmir’s mountainous border district of Poonch ahead of Defence Minister A.K. Antony’s visit to the area Monday.
The incident took place Sunday evening when army troops laid a cordon in the forests near Mendhar, over 200 km northwest of here.
“After a brief exchange of fire, troops killed one LeT terrorist,” said Brig. Gurdeep Singh, brigadier general staff of 16 Corps.
He said the identity of the militant was being established, but he is suspected to be a Pakistani.
Antony begins his daylong visit of the border areas in Jammu region Monday and is accompanied by Defence Secretary Vijay Singh and Indian Army chief Deepak Kapoor.
“He will visit forward areas along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri and Poonch districts,” and army source told IANS.
Antony is slated to review the overall situation, particularly reports about militants grouping across the LoC to sneak into the Indian side as well as recent reports of fresh infiltrations.
He would also be interacting with officers on the ground and then tour forward areas in the Kashmir valley before heading back to New Delhi.
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Women units of BSF to be deployed in Kashmir - May 25, 2011
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- Two militants killed in Poonch - Nov 14, 2010
- Indian Army chief visits forward areas in Kashmir - Apr 22, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled, Army man injured - Nov 24, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire on Indian posts in Kashmir - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: antony, army troops, border areas, brig, brigadier general, deepak kapoor, defence minister, defence secretary, forward areas, general staff, gunbattle, gurdeep singh, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, lashkar e taiba, poonch, sunday evening, vijay singh