Leh, Kargil freeze, cold wave on in SrinagarDecember 20th, 2010 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 20 (IANS) No respite from the harsh weather was in sight Monday for millions of residents in Kashmir Valley as an unusually long dry and cold spell continued, forcing temperatures to go below the freezing point.”The minimum temperature in Srinagar city was minus 5 degrees Celsius Monday. It was 3 degrees less than normal. The minimum temperature was minus 13.6 degrees in Leh town, minus 10.6 in Kargil, minus 6.6 in Pahalgam and minus 6 in Gulmarg,” M.S. Wani, assistant meteorologist at the weather office here.
“As the cold and dry spell is likely to continue here for some days more, the minimum temperatures can fall further during the next two to three days.
“The cold wave conditions would continue till we have some precipitation here, but as of now, we do not foresee such a change in weather at least for the next two days,” he said.
Most wetlands have frozen here giving a tough time to thousands of migratory birds which spend the winter months in these wetlands of the valley.
Parts of Dal Lake in summer capital Srinagar had also frozen in Monday morning.
“Huge flocks of coots were battling frozen waters to manage some food for themselves in the middle of Dal Lake in the morning today. Though the cold does not affect these birds directly, feeding becomes a problem when wetlands freeze,” said Nazir Ahmad, 33, a resident of Nishat area in Srinagar.
- Light snowfall expected in Kashmir Thursday - Dec 28, 2010
- At minus 5.2, Dal Lake freezes in Srinagar - Dec 25, 2010
- Freeze continues in Kashmir, Leh minus 20.2 - Jan 04, 2011
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Kashmir freezes, Leh minus 15.2 degrees - Dec 27, 2010
- Cold wave freezes Kashmir, Leh minus 12.6 - Dec 26, 2010
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Kashmir arranges free lunches for migratory birds (With Images) - Jan 13, 2012
- Cold wave intensifies in Kashmir and Ladakh - Jan 21, 2012
- Bone chilling cold in Kashmir as Leh freezes - Jan 03, 2011
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Extreme cold partially freezes Kashmir's famous Dal Lake - Jan 07, 2011
- Lakes freeze in sub-zero Kashmir (With Images) - Jan 10, 2012
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: ahmad, cold spell, cold wave, dry spell, flocks, freezing point, frozen waters, harsh weather, kashmir, meteorologist, migratory birds, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, monday morning, pahalgam, precipitation, respite from, wave conditions, weather office, wetlands