Legal experts say role of Speaker limited in cash for vote scam probeJuly 22nd, 2008 - 8:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 22 (ANI); Legal experts today said that Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee had a very limited role to play in ruling on the cash for vote scam that surfaced on Tuesday evening.
Speaking to a web site, noted lawyer Harish Salve said the three BJP MPs two from Madhya Pradesh Ashok Chhaviram Argal, 39, representing the Morena (SC) constituency and Faggan Singh Kulaste, 48, representing the Mandla (ST) constituency and Mahaveer Bhagora, 61, representing the Salumber (SC) constituency in Rajasthan should have informed the police and lodged a formal complaint.
Describing bribery as a serious charge, salve further went on to say that the whole incident of the BJP charging the Samajwadi Party appeared to be a farce.
Even if the MPs wanted to display the money in the Parliament, they should approached the Speaker first. Moreover, these MPs have made an allegation against the party and against an individual. Bribing an MP is a serious allegation, the website quoted Salve, as saying.
He said Chatterjee could not suspend the House or even order an inquiry before the trust vote.
Professor Ravi Varma Kumar was quoted by the rediff website as saying that the trust vote could not be postponed due to the BJP allegations.
He said that the three BJP MPs should approach the Privileges Committee for redressal, and added that in this instance, the Speaker could do nothing.
He said that what Chatterjee could do was to confiscate the money and bring the House under order. He could then have an all-party meeting to discuss the matter. (ANI)
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Bail pleas of Kulkarni, two others, to be heard Oct 13 - Oct 07, 2011
- PM, Sonia must apologise for cash-for-votes scam: Gadkari (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- BJP rally in support of arrested ex-MP - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Bribery issue will be investigated, says Somnath Chatterjee - Jul 22, 2008
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: allegation against, argal, ashok, bjp, bribery, constituency, farce, formal complaint, legal experts, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, mahaveer, mandla, morena, privileges committee, ravi varma, salve, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, trust vote