Left takes a hit in West Bengal, Trinamool Congress-Congress alliance leadingMay 16th, 2009 - 12:36 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, May 16 (ANI): For the first time in nearly three decades, the Left bastion in West Bengal has been cracked.
The Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress and the Pranab Mukherjee-led Congress are together leading in 11 of the 15 Lok Sabha constituencies for which trends were available on Saturday morning.
External Affairs Minister and WBPCC chief Pranab Mukherjee is leading in the Jangipur constituency over CPI(M) candidate Mriganka Bhattacharya.
Former External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh (BJP) was ahead of his nearest Congress rival Dawa Narbula by 7,343 votes in Darjeeling constituency.
Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee was ahead of her CPI(M) rival Robin Deb by 6,813 votes in the Kolkata South constituency.
Basudeb Acharya (CPI-M) was leading over Subrata Mukherjee (Congress) by 4,500 votes after the first round of counting in Bankura constituency.
CPI(M) candidate Md Selim was trailing by a slender margin of 2,044 votes to his nearest Trinamool rival Sudip Bandopadhyay in the Kolkata North constituency.
Others leading include Dipa Dasmunshi and Adhir Chowdhury (both Congress) and Subhendu Adhikary and Kabir Suman (Trinamool Congress). (ANI with inputs)
- Trinamool wins both seats in Bengal assembly by-polls - Jun 15, 2012
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Over 51 percent vote in Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 30, 2011
- Three victories for Mamata on golden Wednesday - Sep 28, 2011
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- PM, Pranab congratulate Mamata on victory - Sep 28, 2011
- Mamata's pet Lok Sabha seat goes to polls - Nov 29, 2011
- Mamata will run Bengal well: Pranab - Apr 11, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Mamata scores major points against Left (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 04, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: acharya, bastion, bjp, congress alliance, constituency, CPI, deb, external affairs minister, kabir suman, lok sabha constituencies, mamata banerjee, minister jaswant singh, pranab mukherjee, saturday morning, selim, subrata mukherjee, three decades, trinamool congress, west bengal