Left Front wants cyclone Aila to be declared a national calamityJune 9th, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, June 9 (ANI): West Bengal’s ruling Left Front chairman Biman Bose said on Tuesday that his party demanded the cyclone Aila, which caused enormous devastation in the state to be declared a national calamity.
“The Left Front discussed the issue of cyclone Aila at its meeting and demanded that the disaster be declared a national calamity,” Biman Bose told reporters.
He said that an appeal should be made to MPs and MLAs to give assistance from their area development funds for cyclone victims.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had earlier written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging him to declare the disaster a national calamity and sought assistance of Rs 1,000 crore.
Cyclone Aila had slammed into the coast of West Bengal on May 25, leaving hundreds of thousands of people homeless after a tidal surge washed away villages and roads.
A central team, had visited areas in South and North 24 Parganas districts which bore the brunt of the cyclone besides the Darjeeling hills.
During the period, military and civil relief workers struggled to deliver food, fresh water and shelter to regions worst hit by the surge of sea water and destructive high winds. (ANI)
- Bengal to acquire land for building river embankments - Jun 04, 2011
- Mamata announces sops for Sunderbans - Jan 31, 2012
- West Bengal seeks fund for Sundarbans - Feb 18, 2011
- Aila must be declared national disaster: Left Front - Jun 09, 2009
- Central team surveys cyclone-hit Sundarbans - Jun 09, 2009
- CPI-M demands re-poll in 40 booths - Apr 28, 2011
- Buddhadeb visits West Bengal cyclone relief camps - Jun 02, 2009
- Publish Darjeeling agreement, demands Left Front - Jun 09, 2011
- Somnath welcome to campaign: Biman Bose - Apr 17, 2011
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- US behind Congress-Trinamool Alliance: Biman Bose (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Sunderbans out of wonders race - a lost opportunity? - Nov 23, 2011
- Post Aila, Buddha demands Rs.10 bn central aid - May 29, 2009
- Left Front demands high-level probe into hospital fire - Dec 10, 2011
- Buddhadeb to skip CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: aila, bhattacharjee, brunt, chief minister, cyclone victims, darjeeling hills, devastation, fresh water, high winds, hundreds of thousands, manmohan, manmohan singh, national calamity, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, relief workers, rs 1, sea water, tidal surge, west bengal