Lax security arrangements facilitated Naxal attack in Jharkhand: PoliceNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
“The head police officer had left the place, while the event was still going on. This simply comes across as irresponsible behaviour,” said Arun Kumar Singh, Superintendent of Police, Giridih.
The police are investigating the matter.
The incident took place during a cultural programme at Chilkhadia village in Jharkhand’s Giridih District at around 1.00 a.m. Heavily armed naxalites, who had mingled with the crowd, opened indiscriminate fire and exploded bombs.
Four injured, including two women, are undergoing treatment at Giridih hospital.
Anup’s brother Nunulal, who was also present, escaped unhurt.
Nunulal said although a written application had been submitted for police protection, the authorities did not take requisite steps.
“It is their (police) fault,” he said.
The Government has announced Rs 1 lakh compensation for the families of all those who were killed.
Giridih is the home district of Babulal Marandi.
In March, Lok Sabha MP from Jamshedpur, Sunil Mahato was shot dead by Naxalities about 40 km from Ranchi while attending a football match.
Jharkhand is one of the 13 states hit by the Maoist insurgency that began more than three decades ago.
According to Home Ministry, 76 districts in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Maharashtra, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal are ‘badly affected by Maoist violence’. (ANI)
- Court acquits four suspected Maoists in 2007 massacre - Dec 15, 2011
- Four Maoists awarded death penalty in Jharkhand - Jun 23, 2011
- Jharkhand police failed to present key witness in massacre case - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoists killed 19 because they couldn't locate one (Flashback) - Jun 23, 2011
- Death penalty for four Maoists harsh: Marandi - Jun 23, 2011
- Four Maoists convicted for 2007 massacre of 19 - Jun 22, 2011
- Jharkhand CM condemns killing of Marandi's son (Lead:Marandi's son) - Nov 14, 2007
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Hunt on for Naxalite who killed former Jharkhand CM's son(Lead:Marandi's son) - Nov 14, 2007
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Jharkhand's rural areas hit by Maoist shutdown - Apr 23, 2011
- Marandi fasts in support of Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- No trace of abducted workers in Jharkhand - Feb 20, 2012
- Jharkhand shuts down to protest against Naxals - Nov 14, 2007
- Maoists release abducted labourers in Jharkhand - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: anup, arun kumar singh, chhattisgarh, football match, home ministry, indiscriminate fire, jamshedpur, jharkhand, lakh, lax security, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, maoist, more than three decades, police protection, police sources, security arrangements, sunil mahato, undergoing treatment, written application