Last Friday prayers offered ahead of Eid celebrationsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:08 am ICT by admin
“We wait for this day the entire year. We are really happy today,” said Mohammad Irfan.
In Srinagar, hundreds of Muslims thronged mosques.
“Today is the last prayer of the month of Ramzan. Today, we get an opportunity to apologies for our sins and our mistake, which we have committed in the last one year,” said Mohammad Ismail.
Similar scenes were seen in Mumbai where thousands of Muslim attended the prayers.
Ramadan is a dawn to dusk fast observed by the Muslims for a period of 30 days. The holy month of fasting this year ends on Saturday.
During Ramadan, Muslims do not take food or water from dawn to dusk. They also devote their time to worship and studying of the Quran. They eat a pre-dawn meal, called Sehri and at the end of the day, called Iftar.
The Muslims are required to refrain from indecent acts and improper thoughts, nor may they make offensive gestures or unkind words during the period.
Millions of Muslims across India began marking the fasting month on September 14, after the sighting of new moon.
Ramadan, the ninth month of the Hijri lunar calendar, commemorates the revelation of Quran, Islam’s holy book, and has traditionally been a time of religious fervour, settling old disputes and behaving charitably towards neighbours.
The end of Ramadan heralds the festival of Eid ul fitr. (ANI)
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- Ramzan fasts as usual for Omar, Farooq Abdullah - Aug 04, 2011
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramadan begins with the sighting of moon - Aug 11, 2010
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Kashmiris prepare for Eid with prayers, shopping - Aug 29, 2011
- Floods put the dampeners on Ramadan spirits in Lucknow - Sep 07, 2008
Tags: dawn to dusk, eid celebrations, eid ul fitr, fasting month, hijri, indecent acts, last prayer, lunar calendar, mohammad, mosques, muslims, neighbours, offensive gestures, period millions, prayers, pre dawn, quran islam, ramadan, religious fervour