LAs top cop rejects call for law to curb paparazziAugust 2nd, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Aug 2 (ANI): A top-notch police official in Los Angeles has rejected anti-paparazzi laws, calling them a complete waste of time.
After months of rising tensions between celebrities and the paparazzi city officials in LA had suggested some plan in a bid to fight reporters who follow Hollywood stars like “a pack of wolves, stalking their prey”.
Also, some officials outlined proposals for creating an emergency telephone line devoted to celebrities and licensing the paparazzi.
But, Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton criticized the ideas, insisting that they were unenforceable.
Bratton said that with tabloid sensations such as Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan out of the headlines for now, there was no need for extra control.
Still, the celebrity photographers known as “paps” have become more aggressive in recent years and in some cases, their tactics have led to violence.
Earlier this year, Malibu residents fought with paparazzi who were trying to snap photos of actor Matthew McConaughey swimming in the Pacific Ocean, and last week bodyguards for Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt beat up two paps who sneaked onto the grounds of their chateau in the south of France.
Bratton criticized the idea of issuing paparazzi credentials, argued it was unnecessary to spend city money on extra protection and scoffed at a plan to create personal safety zones around stars.
“What is this protected space that they are entitled to that the rest of us are not entitled to?” the Herald Sun quoted him, as saying.
He also believes the paps have cooled their ways.
“Paris Hilton’’s out of town, things are quiet; Lindsay Lohan’’s got a new girlfriend, that’’s keeping things quiet; and evidently Britney (Spears) has gone straight now in terms of cleaning her act up, so basically paparazzi are losing interest,” he said. (ANI)
- Lindsay, Paris friends again? - Apr 29, 2012
- Lohan blasts mean Paris Hilton - May 06, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan celebrates end of probation - Apr 01, 2012
- Paris Hilton is mean: Lindsay Lohan - May 06, 2011
- Reality TV star Alexis Neiers arrested for probation violation - Dec 02, 2010
- McConaughey took home 'Magic Mike' costumes - Jul 10, 2012
- Emma Watson joins 'The Bling Ring' - Mar 02, 2012
- Meet the courtroom artist who sketched MJ, LiLo and Paris Hilton - Oct 11, 2010
- Boxing Battle Of The Bad Girls: Lindsay Lohan Vs. Paris Hilton - Jan 26, 2011
- Lohan enjoys night out - Jul 03, 2011
- LiLo could end up serving less than a week in prison, says expert - Jul 08, 2010
- Miley Cyrus sex doll sold out - Apr 06, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan's rep denies that she is going in for 'Big Brother' - Dec 05, 2011
- Aniston, McConaughey named best beach bodies - Sep 11, 2010
- McConaughey's kids excited about new baby - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: actor matthew mcconaughey, angeles police chief william bratton, angelina jolie, angelina jolie and brad, angelina jolie and brad pitt, celebrity photographers, chief william bratton, city money, complete waste of time, emergency telephone, hollywood stars, jolie and brad pitt, new girlfriend, pack of wolves, paps, paris hilton, police chief william bratton, police official, safety zones, top notch