Lapang to be sworn in as Meghalaya Chief Minister todayMay 13th, 2009 - 11:36 am ICT by ANI
Shillong, May 13 (ANI): Senior Congress leader DD Lapang will be sworn in as Chief Minister of Meghalaya on Wednesday.
The Congress Party stitched an alliance with the United Democratic Party (UDP) following failure of talks with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) to form the government in Meghalaya.
Lapang on Tuesday called on Governor R S Mooshary and enclosed a letter of support from the UDP and independent MLA Donkupar Massar, taking the tally of the alliance to 37 members in the 60-member Assembly.
The Meghalaya United Alliance-led by Congress has got the majority for formation and continuation of a viable government after coming of the UDP to its fold, Lapang said.
“We have signed an agreement before the Governor pledging our support to the Congress. We have been given two berths in the cabinet,” UDP president and former Chief Minister Donkupar Roy said.
As per the agreement, the UDP will get a deputy chief ministership and a cabinet berth.
There was no official word from the Congress, but party insiders said “unreasonable demands” by the NCP like five berths and opposition from a good chunk of state Congress members prompted the party to align with the UDP. (ANI)
- DD Lapang to be sworn in as Meghalaya CM - May 12, 2009
- Meghalaya cabinet to be expanded on Friday - Apr 22, 2010
- Sangma to be elected next Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- Meghalaya heads for fourth government in two years - Apr 17, 2010
- Meghalaya's UDP to support Sangma in presidential poll - Jul 02, 2012
- D D Lapang sworn in as Meghalaya Chief Minister - May 13, 2009
- I will ensure coherence and unity in CLP: Sangma - Apr 20, 2010
- Four chief ministers, no big deal: Lapang - Mar 24, 2010
- Lapang seeks bigger ministry in Meghalaya - Mar 06, 2010
- Lapang resigns, Sangma to be sworn-in Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Threat to Sangma's government in Meghalaya: Minister - Apr 12, 2011
- Meghalaya's rebel Congress legislators to meet Sonia - Jun 05, 2011
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Meghalaya now has two chief ministers - Jan 31, 2010
- Meghalaya chief minister confident of completing term - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: berth, berths, chief minister, chief ministership, chunk, congress leader, congress members, continuation, dd, democratic party, failure, member assembly, nationalist congress party, opposition, party insiders, shillong, state congress, tally, united alliance, unreasonable demands