Lankan refugees appeal to India to save Tamils in island nationFebruary 16th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by ANI
Dharmapuri, (TN), Feb 16 (ANI): Sri Lankan refugees on Monday appealed to the Indian Government to save Tamils in the island nation.
“We demand from India to save our people in Sri Lanka. We also demand an immediate ceasefire so that people here can return there and peace can prevail,” said Kumaran, a Sri Lankan refugee.
Calling for the return of peace to the region, they said: “Tamils are sacrificed like anything. But that’’s our land, we are not living there, at least our children have to live there. This is what we want to appeal to the Indian Government to help us fight for our rights.”
Last month, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and discussed safety measures for Tamils trapped in the battle zone.
The visit was also aimed at cooling tensions with Tamil Nadu politicians who are demanding THAT India broker a ceasefire and save Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka’’s military has encircled the rebel Tigers and is confident it will win a war that has claimed 70,000 lives since 1983. (ANI)
- Chennai students take to the streets over Lankan issue - Feb 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka at 'critical point' post-LTTE, says politician (Interview) - Nov 15, 2011
- India wishes for settlement of issues between displaced Tamils and Sri Lankan Govt.: Krishna - Aug 25, 2010
- Sri Lanka destroying statues of Tamil kings: Canadian Tamils - Dec 15, 2010
- Lankan Tamil issue rocks Parliament again - Feb 19, 2009
- India should help Sri Lanka in constructive manner: Kalam - Jan 27, 2012
- Tamil supporters protest over Sri Lankan issue in Mumbai - Mar 01, 2009
- Former LTTE leader slams Tamil Nadu politicians - Jul 22, 2012
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka welcomes foreign aid - May 19, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of empowering ethnic Tamils (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: battle zone, ceasefire, dharmapuri, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, indian government, island nation, lanka sri, mahinda rajapaksa, peace, politicians, pranab mukherjee, refugee, refugees, safety measures, sri lanka, sri lankan president, tamils, tensions, tigers