Lalu to protest Cabinet deferment of MPs pay hike in ParliamentAugust 17th, 2010 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 17 (ANI): Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad has said that he would lead a protest in support of the hiking of salaries and additional benefits of Members of Parliament.The Union Cabinet had deferred the decision on the proposed three-fold salary hike because there was no consensus.
On Monday, Lalu Prasad slammed opponents of the raise as ‘Crorepatis’ or multi-millionaires who are not aware of the ordinary Member of Parliament’s plight.
The proposal, pending since May 2006, seeks to hike MPs’ salaries from s 16,000 to Rs 50,000.
The bill also proposes a hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) from from Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,000.
MPs currently get Rs 16,000 per month as salary, while a secretary to the government gets Rs 80,000 a month.
The recommendation to hike the salary was made taking into account the consumer price index and the wage index for skilled urban labour.
Apart from the base salary, an MP gets a daily allowance of Rs 1,000 for each day when Parliament is in session or a sitting of a house committee is scheduled.
A member is entitled for constituency allowance of Rs 20,000 per month and office expense allowance of another Rs 20,000 per month.
Every MP can avail 34 single air journeys during a year with spouse or any number of companions or relatives.
The last hike in salaries and allowances of 795 MPs — 545 members of Lok Sabha and 250 members of Rajya Sabha — came into effect about 10 years ago. (ANI)
- Mukherjee meets Lalu, Mulayam to end deadlock over MPs salary hike - Aug 21, 2010
- Cabinet clears salary hike of MPs - Aug 20, 2010
- Cabinet defers decision on MPs' salary revision - Aug 16, 2010
- Parliament adjourns following uproar over MPs' 'poor' salary hike - Aug 20, 2010
- Cabinet hikes MPs' perks, salary raise unaltered (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet to decide pay hike for MPs - Aug 16, 2010
- Cabinet bows to MPs' demand, hikes allowances (Third lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet approves extra salary hike for Members of Parliament - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet to reconsider MPs' salary hike bill - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet to discuss MPs salary enhancement - Aug 23, 2010
- MPs get Rs.10,000 more, but further salary hike rejected (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Government okays three-fold salary hike, MPs want more (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- MPs' pay hike bill in this session: Pranab - Aug 17, 2010
- MPs' salary hike bill in Lok Sabha - Aug 25, 2010
- MPs to get 300 percent pay hike soon (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,