Lalu Prasad alleges rigging in third phase of electionsMay 1st, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, May 1 (ANI): Railways Minister Lalu Prasad has alleged that voting was rigged in Bihar in the third phase on Thursday.
Eleven out of Bihar’s 40 constituencies went to polls in the third phase of parliamentary elections.
“We have information of voting turnout between 25-55 per cent. In Badhaiya block of Munger district, there have been reports of rigging in. We have tried to contact the observers there and also the Senior Superintendent of Police,” said Lalu.
Munger, Banka and Kishanganj districts are considered to be pivotal constituencies for Lalu’s rival and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s party, Janata Dal United.
Meanwhile, Shekhar Suman, actor-turned-politician and a candidate of the Congress Party campaigned in Patna Sahib of Bihar from where he is contesting.
Suman’s son, Bollywood actor Adhyayan Suman along with wife Alka Suman, also campaigned for the actor.
“I have told them that I haven’t come here to play politics as I could have done it being in a different party which could have easily given me a winning seat,” said Suman.
Patna votes in the fourth phase on May 7.
There is a three-cornered contest involving Suman, another former Bollywood actor Shatrughan Sinha on Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) ticket and RJD’s Vijay Sahu.
The remaining fourth and last round of polls in Bihar will be held for three seats on May 7. The first and second phases in 13 seats each were held on April 16 and April 23.
The outcome of the five-stage elections will be known on May 16. (ANI)
- Voting under way for fourth phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- 33 percent voting in Bihar polls, FIR against Lalu (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Sporadic trouble in round four of Bihar polls (Roundup) - Nov 01, 2010
- Rabri Devi to contest from two seats in Bihar polls - Oct 04, 2010
- Peaceful voting on in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Bihar polls: Case filed against Lalu, Rabri for violating model code - Nov 01, 2010
- Fourth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 01, 2010
- Lalu Yadav a habitual lawbreaker, says Nitish Kumar - Nov 01, 2010
- Elaborate security in place for fourth phase of Bihar Assembly polls - Oct 31, 2010
- Voting in Bihar peaceful, 30 to 35 percent turnout (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Bihar candidates try to woo voters - Apr 20, 2009
- Prestige battle for Nitish Kumar in third phase of Bihar polls (Poll Curtainraiser - Bihar) - Apr 29, 2009
- Shekhar Suman resigns from Congress - Feb 18, 2012
- Less then 50 percent turnout in Bihar, polling mostly peaceful (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Voting mostly peaceful in Bihar, 10 percent turn out in first 3 hours (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
Tags: actor turned politician, alka, bharatiya janata party, bihar, bjp, chief minister, congress party, constituencies, different party, fourth phase, lalu prasad, munger, parliamentary elections, railways, rigging, sahib, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, shekhar suman, voting turnout