Lack of snow affecting apple crop in Himachal PradeshJanuary 18th, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
Shimla (Himachal Pradesh), Jan.18 (ANI): The lack of rain and snow has spelled doom for apple growers in Himachal Pradesh.
Apple growers in the region are worried that their crop will be severely hit unless the weather gods oblige them with snow or rainfall.
“Lack of snowfall can create problem for apple growers, there was no snowfall in the month of December and January. If snow fall will get more delayed, then farmers will be facing lot of problems, because 1700 hours of chilling conditions that is a prerequisite for the growth of apple wont be fulfilled,” said Lekh Raj, a horticulture professional.
The dry spell has also affected Rabi (winter) crop sowing. Normally the sowing of wheat and other crops is complete by late December.
Waiting for rainfall however, the farmers have not yet sown the wheat seeds. Any further delay will delay the harvest of the crop.
“This time snowfall is delayed. We are facing a lot of problems due to scarcity of snowfall. If snow had fallen on time problem of pests and many other problems could have been resolved very easily,” said Prem, an apple grower.
Inadequate snow fall during winter also leads to water scarcity during summer in the hills, where most sources of water are snow fed.
Agriculture is the mainstay of India’’s economy with more than half the population relying on the sector for livelihood. Irregular rainfall, frost, pest infestation, floods cause crops damage worth thousands of rupees every year.(ANI)
Apple is the main fruit crop of Himachal Pradesh and is being grown in nine out of 12 districts. Apple accounts for about 40 percent of the total area under all fruit crop cultivation.
More than 200,000 families in the state are engaged in apple cultivation and 90% of them are small and marginal farmers with an average holding of less than 0.6 hectares.
Besides apples, other fruits like pears, peaches, cherries and plums are the major commercial crops of Himachal Pradesh. (ANI)
- Dry weather affects apple farming in Kullu - Dec 26, 2010
- Hostile weather hits Himachal's seed potato yield - Sep 29, 2009
- Apple growers in Himachal worried over less rainfall - Jan 04, 2009
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Snowfall to help apple crop in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 01, 2011
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Himachal shivers, rains cheer fruit growers - Dec 07, 2011
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: apple crop, apple grower, apple growers, commercial crops, crop cultivation, dry spell, fruit crop, irregular rainfall, marginal farmers, pest infestation, rain and snow, snow fall, snowfall, sources of water, time problem, water scarcity, weather gods, wheat seeds, winter crop, worth thousands