Kolkatans on shopping spree ahead of Durga PujaNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
Markets reflect the festive spirit enveloping the entire city.
“Everybody purchases according to their needs. There is a rush. I have bought clothes and other necessities for the puja,” said Purnima Banerjee.
Multinationals use the opportunity to offer discounts and sponsor community pujas. They dole out gifts, organize lucky draws, and even professional music and dance shows.
Many, however, agree that the real spirit lies in the small markets.
“We are doing good business these days,” claimed Aftab Alam, a shopkeeper.
Durga Puja preparations begin months in advance. Organisers attempt to come up with new themes for Pandals and secure the services of professional artists for the purpose.
Idols are on display in Pandals and they are immersed on the last day of the nine-day festival.
Prayers, processions and musical programmes mark the festival, which symbolises the triumph of good over evil.
Durga is depicted as a warrior woman riding a lion or a tiger with multiple hands carrying weapons and assuming mudras, or symbolic hand gestures. This form of the Goddess is the embodiment of feminine and creative energy (Shakti).
It is said that the goddess makes her annual visit to the world during this time and the festivities are meant to welcome her. (ANI)
- Mahasaptami Puja begins amid drum beats - Oct 14, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrations continue for second day (Lead) - Oct 14, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- For many Kolkata celebs, home is where Durga Puja is - Oct 12, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
- Durga idols immersed in Meghalaya - Oct 07, 2011
- Two persons drown in Ichamati river - Oct 07, 2011
- Durga Puja begins in Kolkata - Sep 24, 2009
- Durga Puja fervor grips Delhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Bengal bids farewell to Durga - Oct 06, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- Durga Puja - A Significant Part Of Bengal Based Films & Teleserials - Oct 19, 2010
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: aftab, creative energy, durga puja, entire city, even professional, festive spirit, goddess, good over evil, hand gestures, lucky draws, mudras, professional artists, professional music, purnima, sponsor community, warrior woman