Kolkata students celebrate Holi, sing Tagore’’s songsMarch 10th, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Mar 10 (ANI): Students and teachers of Rabindra Bharati University celebrated Holi with great fervour and enthusiasm.
Dancing to the tune of Tagore’’s song, they applied colour on each other in the true spirit of festival of colours.
At Rabindra Bharati University, they follow the concept of Holi introduced by Rabindranath Tagore.
“We follow the concept of Holi introduced by Rabindranath Tagore and we all danced to the tune of songs written by him. A large number of people from distant places also come here and play Holi with us,” said Lopa Mudra Bhattacharya, a student.
On this day, women wear yellow saris with either red or green border and wear ornaments made of mud with minimal make-up.
As the festival symbolizes friendship and joy on earth, teachers too joined the students in the celebration.
“Tagore has written innumerable songs on spring and on the theme of Holi. It symbolizes friendship and joy on earth. Just before Holi, we have this big celebrations where all the students and teachers join together and perform to Tagore’’s songs,” said Professor Amrita Dutta, Dean, Faculty Council of Fine Arts, Rabindra Bharati University.
No liquid and chemical colours were used in the celebration.
”Holi” or festival of colours marks the onset of spring season. (ANI)
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Dol, Holi - Mar 08, 2012
- Basanta Utsav celebrated in Tagore's Shantiniketan - Feb 28, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Holi with traditional fervour - Mar 19, 2011
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- Tagore's 150th birth anniversary celebrations begin (Lead) - May 09, 2010
- Bengal pays tributes to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Bengal pays homage to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs - Aug 08, 2011
- Tagore culture carnival keeps capital busy - May 07, 2011
- West Bengal salutes Tagore on his birth anniversary - May 09, 2010
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Tagore anniversary celebrations begin in Santiniketan - May 09, 2010
- From classical roots to free flow in Indian dance (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- Kolkata bids last farewell to Suchitra Mitra - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: amrita, celebration, celebrations, dean, dean faculty, distant places, faculty council, festival of colours, fine arts, friendship, holi, mud, mudra, ornaments, rabindra bharati university, rabindranath tagore, s song, saris, spring season, true spirit