Kolkata has a club for people with negative blood groupNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:06 am ICT by admin
The NGO named Medical Bank has opened “Negative Blood Group Club” to help in emergency, as it turns a crisis during medical emergency.
On an average, one in every 4,000 people has AB negative blood group. The ratio of A, B or O negative blood is 1:1000.
This rare accessibility leaves the needy facing horrendous times in emergencies. The club’s aim is to overcome this crisis, said Sutapa Chakraborty, a member.
The RH negative blood group is rare and the difficulty in procuring negative blood in times of emergencies, prompted Medical Bank to start an association of negative blood carriers on June 14 (International Voluntary Blood Donors’ Day), 2007.
“There is always a crisis of negative blood groups be it A-, B-, AB- or O-. To find negative blood groups is tricky and those who need it realise the difficulty involved in locating it,” said D. Ashish, Director, Medical Bank.
“To overcome this crisis, the members of Medical Bank have decided to open a club of negative blood group members. We have at least 200 members and the members donate blood to each other during need,” Ashish added.
“If a member requires blood, he or she can contact either D. Ashish or me. We coordinate with the other members of club and ensure that the needy member gets the required blood group,” said Amit Chakraborty, Administrator, Life Care Blood Bank.
Till date, 200 individuals have registered themselves as members of the “Negative Blood Group Club”. Members of the club campaign in various districts to collect negative blood.
“I suffered a crisis for negative blood group. When I was delivering my child, the doctors realised that I have a negative blood group and to find matching blood for me posed a terrible challenge,” said Sutapa Chakraborty, a member of the club.
“When I heard of this club I readily decided to join it. This gives us a sense of security. The members are like a family and we know we are there for each other,” Sutapa added.
For membership, the Negative Blood Group Club offers information at 033-25540084 and 09831062157. (ANI)
- Summer vacations bring drought in blood banks: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donor Day) - Jun 14, 2012
- In Tripura, blood donation is a movement (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 14, 2010
- Summer brings drought of blood donors: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 13, 2010
- Twitteratti offer help for blast victims - Sep 07, 2011
- Cross blood group transplants conducted in India - Nov 11, 2011
- Delhi blood banks to get advanced testing technique soon - Jun 14, 2011
- 'O' blood group women face double fertility risk - Oct 25, 2010
- Spain's policy will create jobs: Germany - Jul 23, 2012
- Will continue to support Europe in crisis: China - Mar 21, 2012
- Cheryl Cole's Blood Group Diet Slammed by Health Experts - Dec 16, 2010
- New Human Blood concept perfume 'might make you a prey to vampires' - Apr 22, 2011
- Four children die of wrong blood transfusion - Mar 16, 2012
- Government hospitals hike prices of blood in Gorakhpur - May 08, 2010
- Blood group diets - a new way to fitness - May 05, 2010
- Blood from stem cells likely within next decade - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: ab negative, aim, amit chakraborty, ashish, blood bank, blood group, blood groups, contact, difficulty, donate blood, emergencies, group club, horrendous, kolkata, member of the club, ngo, o negative blood, realise, rh negative blood, voluntary blood donors