Koirala starts bilateral meetings with SAARC leadersAugust 1st, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Aug 1 (ANI): Nepals caretaker Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala today started bilateral meetings with leaders of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), who have gathered here to participate in the summit on August 2-3.
According to Nepalnews, he paid a call to President of Sri Lanka, Mahinda Rajapaksa.
According to a Foreign Ministry official who is part of the Nepalese delegation, the two leaders discussed the plan to develop Lumbini, the birthplace of Gautam Buddha, as a major hub of tourism and Buddhist pilgrimage. This was the first bilateral meeting between the Sri Lankan President and a head of the Nepal government since the last SAARC summit.
Koirala will meet his Indian counterpart Dr. Manmohan Singh this evening when the latter arrives in Colombo.
The Summit is expected to finalise four different agreements. They include agreements for a SAARC Development Fund, a South Asian Regional Standards Organisation, taking Afghanistan into the South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA) pact and the formation of a mutual legal assistance pact to deal with criminal activities.
The Summit is also likely to give top priority to regional cooperation on issues such as poverty alleviation, food security, energy crisis, terrorism and climate change.
There are eight member states in SAARC including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Maldives and Bhutan. (ANI)
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- South Asia to accelerate trade, combat terror (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2011
- PM leaves for SAARC summit, to push for free trade - Nov 09, 2011
- SAARC should focus on infrastructure, trade: CII - Nov 06, 2011
- South Asia Forum calls for regional economic union - Sep 08, 2011
- South Asia to gain when Pakistan frees trade with India: Chamber head - Mar 21, 2012
- India Pakistan talks an anomaly in SAARC: Secretary General - Feb 05, 2011
- India assures greater market access to SAARC countries - Feb 16, 2012
- India unveils duty cuts for SAARC LDCs, says let's trust each other - Nov 10, 2011
- PM arrives in Maldives for SAARC summit - Nov 09, 2011
- 17th SAARC Summit to take place in Maldives - Jan 02, 2011
- SAARC to get first woman secretary general - Jan 18, 2011
- SAARC to set up seed bank, rapid action force - Nov 05, 2011
- Maldives to nominate new SAARC secretary general soon - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: asian free trade area, bilateral meetings, buddhist pilgrimage, dr manmohan singh, gautam buddha, girija prasad koirala, india pakistan bangladesh, indian counterpart, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan singh, mutual legal assistance, nepal government, nepal sri lanka, poverty alleviation, prime minister girija prasad koirala, regional standards, saarc summit, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, sri lankan president