Kirti Chakra to train driver for his act of braveryMarch 17th, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 17 (ANI): The investiture ceremony for conferring the Kirti Chakra on train driver N. N. Bora posthumously will be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on March 19.
Bora, a train driver of the Lumding division in Northeast Frontier Railway, was awarded the second most important gallantry award posthumously for saving the lives of 34 railway men on board a special train, which after leaving Mupa station in Lumding Badarpur MG hill section of Northeast Frontier Railway was under heavy fire by militants.
The train was coming out of a tunnel at the time of the attack. Bora, subsequently succumbed to his injuries. He did an excellent job in reversing the passenger special train inside the tunnel and saved the lives.
The incident happened on May 15, 2008.
The award is the peacetime equivalent of the Maha Vir Chakra which is awarded for in the battle field. It is second in order of precedence of peace time gallantry awards and comes after the Ashoka Chakra and before the Shaurya Chakra.
The award consists of a medal, a citation and life long stipend of Rs.2100/- per month. (ANI)
- Gallantry awardees to get free parking passes in Chandigarh - Dec 31, 2010
- Civil gallantry awardees to get free AC train travel - Jul 24, 2012
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Railways to recruit 16,000 ex-servicemen - Feb 25, 2011
- Five army men named for Kirti Chakra, 21 to get Shaurya Chakra - Jan 25, 2011
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- 442 gallantry awards announced on Republic Day eve - Jan 25, 2010
- President confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 09, 2010
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Ashoka Chakra for Maj Jyotin Singh (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- President to confer three Ashok Chakras on R-Day (With Images) - Jan 25, 2010
- One Ashok Chakra, 6 Kirti Chakras announced on R-Day eve (Lead,with images) - Jan 25, 2010
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011
- Assam's stranded train passengers evacuated - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: ashoka chakra, bora, bravery, citation, frontier, gallantry awards, investiture ceremony, job, kirti chakra, march 19, New Delhi, northeast frontier railway, order of precedence, peace time, peacetime, posthumously, railway men, shaurya, stipend, vir chakra