Kidney racket kingpin’s brother sent to CBI custodyFebruary 18th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 18 (ANI): A court here today remanded Dr Jeevan Kumar, the brother and key aide of alleged kidney transplant racket kingpin Amit Kumar, to CBI custody till February 29.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officials arrested Jeevan from the Lodhi Road area in South Delhi on Sunday.
The CBI has claimed that Jeevan has been involved in management of alleged illegal kidney transplant surgeries.
Jeevan had been absconding since January 24 when the racket was busted in Gurgaon. The Interpol had issued a Red Corner notice against him and Amit on February 1.
On February 10,Amit was remanded to CBI custody till February 22 after he was flown from Kathmandu on February 9 by a three-member CBI team. The 40-year-old tainted doctor was arrested in Chitwan in Nepal on February 7.
With Jeevan’s arrest, the authorities claimed to have detained all the four key accused in the multi-crore racket. The other two are Dr Upendra Aggarwal and Dr Saraj Kovid.
Jeevan’s wife Pooja Singhal is in judicial custody for allegedly helping him to escape the police.
Amit and others have been charged under several sections, including violation of the Human Organ Transplant Act. They have been accused of having forced or duped around 500 people, mostly from the underprivileged sections of society, into donating their kidneys. (ANI)
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- Kidney racket kingpin Dr. Amit Kumar to be produced in Delhi court today - Feb 22, 2008
- Kidney racketeer Dr. Amit Kumar sent to judicial custody till March 7 - Feb 22, 2008
- CBI files chargesheet against kidney kingpin Amit Kumar - Apr 29, 2008
- CBI to file chargesheet against kidney racketeer Dr. Amit Kumar - Apr 29, 2008
- Kidney transplantation scam: Dr Upendra sent to judicial custody till Mar. 7 - Feb 25, 2008
- Defence canteen scam: Four accused in CBI custody - Jul 01, 2012
- Kidney racketeer Dr. Amit Kumar sent to judicial custody till March 26 - Feb 26, 2008
- Eight days police custody for Kalmadi (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to judicial custody till Mar. 29 - Mar 15, 2011
- NRHM scam: Kushwaha sent to judicial custody - Mar 13, 2012
- Kidney kingpin's brother arrested in Delhi - Feb 17, 2008
- Kidney kingpin gets bail in fake passport cases - Mar 05, 2010
- Delhi cop arrested for taking bribe from kidney scam accused - Feb 15, 2008
- Kidney racket kingpin's sealed house burgled 4th time - Mar 12, 2010
Tags: aggarwal, cbi officials, cbi team, central bureau of investigation, chitwan, human organ transplant, human organ transplant act, interpol, jeevan, judicial custody, kidney transplant, kingpin, lodhi road, organ transplant act, pooja, saraj, singhal, south delhi, transplant surgeries, upendra