Kidnapped Railway engineer rescued by TSR after more than a monthJune 5th, 2008 - 10:47 pm ICT by ANI
By Pinaki Das
Agartala, June 5 (ANI): In a success after more than one month and ten days kidnapped Railway engineer Debabrata Das was rescued on Thursday after a heavy gun battle between militants and Tripura State Rifle (TSR) soldiers from the militants hideout.
The incident occurred in an interior area Simultuibaklai under Champahower police station about 145 kilometres NorthEast from here. The sixth Battalion of TSR personnel led by L. Darlong, Commandant of the Battalion were conducting special operations acting on some secret informations about the movement of National Liberation Front of Tripura (BM) extremists (sub-group of Karna Debbarma at Koplai) with the kidnapped Railway engineer.
According to police the militants opened fire from their hide out sensing the presence of operation party and TSR also retaliated heavily.
The exchange of firing continued for about ten minutes and under heavy fire from TSR, the militants left the hide out leaving kidnapped Railway engineer taking cover of the thick forest.
TSR personnel later during search of the area rescued Das from the hideout.
A combing operation is still continuing and further search operations are being organized to nab the militant group.
NLFT (BM) militants had kidnapped Debabrata Das of Hailakandi, Assam from Tuikarma near Swapnabari under Mungia Kami police station on April 26. (ANI)
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Railway engineer rescued, 16 militants surrender in Tripura - Jun 06, 2008
- 10 people abducted by rebels in Tripura, Mizoram - Jun 08, 2011
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Kolkata firing: Tripura trooper suspended - Jun 01, 2010
- Tripura tribal woman's death sparks ethnic tension - Feb 20, 2011
- Tripura to ask CBI to probe rape, death of tribal leader - Mar 07, 2011
- Elite Tripura troopers to provide security during CWG - Aug 01, 2010
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011
- Tripura trooper guns down five of family - Apr 28, 2012
- Manhunt continues for killer Tripura trooper - Apr 28, 2012
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- After CWG, Tripura troopers ready for Bihar polls - Oct 15, 2010
- Railway worker killed in Tripura - Apr 27, 2008
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: agartala, assam, commandant, debabrata, extremists, gun battle, hideout, interior area, militant group, militants, national liberation front, police station, presence, railway engineer, search operations, sixth battalion, special operations, thick forest, tsr