Khanduri meets agitators against Bhagirathi projectJune 17th, 2008 - 12:12 am ICT by ANI
Dehradun, June 16 (ANI): Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri said here today that he is ready to stop construction of hydel projects in Uttarakhand provided its power needs are fulfilled by the Central Government.
Khanduri said he is committed for the conservation of the Bhagirathi river.
He also met Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leaders including Ashok Singhal and other saints in Haridwar to assure them that no final decision will be taken which may threaten the river.
Earlier, Khanduri began talks through his emissaries with fasting environmentalist G D Agrawal, protesting against hydel projects on the Bhagirathi river. Gopal Singh Rawat, the Gangotri MLA and R Meenakshisundaram , District Magistrate of Uttarkashi met Agrawal yesterday and urged him to break his fast.
Initially, the People’s Science Institute (PSI), a Dehradun-based NGO, spearheaded the “Save Bhagirathi” campaign. It is supporting Agrawal on the issue. (ANI)
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
- 135km stretch of Ganga in Uttarakhand gets green shield - Nov 02, 2010
- Mild tremors in Uttarakhand (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- BJP's Khanduri loses in Uttarakhand - Mar 06, 2012
- Compensation for Uttarakhand accident victims - Aug 02, 2010
- Killed pilgrims' kin protest non-payment of compensation - Jun 28, 2012
- Khanduri, Singhal hold discussions with Bhagwat - Aug 29, 2009
- Congress slams BJP for not backing fasting ascetic who died (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Kanwar Yatra not to go beyond Haridwar - Jun 19, 2012
- Sonia creating Hindu terror bogey: Singhal - Jan 07, 2011
- Ministers laud mammoth 'Gayatri Mantra' meet - Nov 06, 2011
- Congress, BJP neck-and-neck in Uttarakhand (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Centre orders feasibility study of hydro projects on Bhagirathi, Alaknanda - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: agitators, ashok singhal, bhagirathi river, central government, chief minister, district magistrate, emissaries, environmentalist, final decision, gangotri, gopal singh, haridwar, hydel projects, mla, ngo, psi, rawat, saints, science institute, vishwa hindu parishad