Kevin Spacey honored at theatre awards for reviving London’’s Old VicNovember 25th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 25 (ANI): Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey has been honored at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards for rejuvenating one of London’’s best-loved play houses.
The K-PAX actor was recognised “for bringing new life to the Old Vic”.
He took over at the theatre, near Waterloo Station, five years ago to the bemusement of some critics.
Spacey also received praise for his performance with Jeff Goldblum in David Mamet’’s Speed the Plow this year.
The Donmar Warehouse won four awards, including best actor and best actress.
The Donmar’’s Michael Grandage was named best director for his productions of Othello and The Chalk Garden, together with Ivanov, which was staged as part of the Donmar’’s West End season.
Margaret Tyzack and Penelope Wilton shared the award for best actress for their roles in Grandage’’s The Chalk Garden.
“In my 17 years on the judges” panel I cannot recall many occasions when there was a more exciting and diverse collection of candidates in most of the categories, BBC quoted Evening Standard theatre critic Nicholas de Jongh, as saying.
“And I think our choices reflect the fact that even though the West End remains far too short of plays and too full of musicals, the London theatre now offers a tremendous variety of choices for the theatre-goers, he added. (ANI)
- Jude Law returning to London stage - Jan 15, 2011
- Jude Law to return to London stage - Jan 15, 2011
- Jude Law, Rachel Weisz bag top honours at Critics' Circle awards - Jan 27, 2010
- Actress Margaret Tyzack passes away - Jun 28, 2011
- Patrick Stewart bags Laurence Olivier award for Hamlet role - Mar 09, 2009
- Actor shot on stage in Britain - Oct 04, 2010
- West End play suspended after actor gets shot on-stage - Oct 04, 2010
- Wright to direct first theatre project - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Jurassic Park' to hit theatres again - Aug 29, 2011
- Kevin Spacey gets Edwin Booth Lifetime Achievement Award - Jan 13, 2011
- Downing Street cat Larry 'gatecrashes' Kevin Spacey photocall - Feb 19, 2011
- Sherlock Holmes Actor Jude Law Set To Return To stage In London - Jan 15, 2011
- Spacey honoured for theatre work - Jan 13, 2011
- David Tennants comeback as Hamlet named Theatre Event of the Year - Feb 16, 2009
- Spacey to cheer for 'The Social Network' at Oscars - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: actor kevin, best actress, chalk garden, david mamet, donmar warehouse, hollywood actor, jeff goldblum, judges panel, k pax, london theatre, margaret tyzack, nicholas de jongh, old vic london, penelope wilton, play houses, speed the plow, theatre awards, theatre critic, theatre goers, waterloo station