Kerala to get first coastal police station on Feb. 9February 5th, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb. 5, (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram will open the first coastal police station at Kollam district in Kerala on February 9.
Kerala will become the first state to establish coastal police stations in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks.
Kerala was earlier sanctioned eight coastal police stations to strengthen security in coastal areas at an outlay of Rs.43.56 crore.
In addition to Neendakara, the other stations are at Vizhinjam, Fort Kochi, Thodapalli, Beypore, Azhikel, Bekel and Kodugallore.
For the Neendakara station, Indian Coast Guard (ICG) had provided training to 50 personnel from the Kerala Police.
State Home Minister Kodeyeri Balakrishnan said that the reason behind the functioning of these stations is to prevent any infiltration and smuggling of arms from outside the country.
He said vigil groups, each consisting of 10 fishermen, would be constituted as members of these groups. The members would be provided with mobile phones and identity cards. (ANI)
- Coastal command to be constituted to strengthen internal security: Chidambaram - Feb 09, 2009
- Kerala fishermen complain they were shot at - Mar 07, 2012
- Fishermen to ring Italian ship - Feb 20, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- New Coast Guard station in Gujarat - Oct 02, 2010
- Security at sea will be beefed up: Antony - Feb 26, 2012
- Two Italian crew members brought off ship (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Singapore ship suspected in Kerala boat accident - Mar 04, 2012
- Coast Guard steps up vigil with new station - Sep 30, 2010
- Fishermen's killing: Protests demanding arrest of ship captain - Feb 20, 2012
- Kerala asks central government to protect coast - Feb 06, 2009
- Police records statements of Italian ship's crew (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- 'Detain Italian ship till compensation is paid' - Feb 21, 2012
- Court stays trial of Italian marines till July 30 - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: balakrishnan, bekel, beypore, coast guard, coastal areas, crore, fishermen, infiltration, kerala police, kochi, mobile phones, outlay, p chidambaram, police state, police station, police stations, terror attacks, thiruvananthapuram, union home minister, vigil