Kerala prepares for Pooram FestivalApril 23rd, 2010 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Thrissur (Kerala), Apr 23 (ANI): Artisans are preparing colourful parasols for the forthcoming ‘Thrissur Pooram’, elephant Festival in Kerala.
Primarily a Hindu religious festival, the event attracts people from other communities.”Every year, new variety of huge and colorful umbrellas is introduced in this festival. We are preparing 45 sets of such umbrellas in this place, which took us around two months with 15 artisans. In this work, all religions put their effort in preparing all the handicrafts, which is another specialty. The elephants’ head cover with gold plating is mainly done by Christian artisans,” said Vasanthan K, chief artisan.
The gold-plated ornaments for elephants, handmade umbrellas, and percussion instruments add to the festival’s grandeur.
The festival commences with the arrival of small elephant processions, which head towards their respective deities in different villages across Thrissur and finally end their journey at the grounds of the Vadakumnathan Temple.
The final show concludes with caparisoned elephants and `Kudamattam’ (exchange of colorful umbrellas) rituals at the two rival temples of Paramekkavu and Thiruvambady Devaswom, the two promoters of Pooram since first commenced in 1798.
It is believed that King Sakthan, who ruled Kochi in the late 18th century, started the festival.
The word Pooram literally means a group or a meeting and it is believed that the gods and goddesses meet for a day of celebrations.
This year, the festival falls on April 24. (ANI)
- Kerala readies for Thrissur Pooram festival - Apr 29, 2012
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Thrissur Pooram festivities begin - May 01, 2012
- All set for Kerala's iconic Thrissur Pooram - May 10, 2011
- Hundreds of thousands converge as 'Thrissur Pooram' begins in Kerala - Apr 24, 2010
- Caparisoned elephants steal the show at Thrissur Pooram - Apr 24, 2010
- Two dozen injured as elephant runs amok - May 02, 2012
- 'Thrissur Pooram', annual 'Elephant Festival' in Kerala - Apr 17, 2008
- Devotees celebrate 'Pooram' in Tripunithura - Dec 08, 2010
- Kerala to webcast temple festival - Mar 16, 2011
- Kerala readies for grand Thrissur Pooram festival - May 01, 2009
- 'Jumbo protests' in Kerala against proposed elephant rules - Nov 08, 2010
- Kerala temple's elephants enjoy a break - Jul 02, 2011
- Kerala initiates signature campaign for using elephants in temple festivals - Apr 30, 2010
- Flags up for Thrissur Pooram festival in Kerala - Apr 10, 2008
Tags: 18th century, april 24, artisan, artisans, colorful umbrellas, deities, elephant, elephants head, gold plating, grandeur, handicrafts, hindu, ornaments, parasols, percussion instruments, promoters, religious festival, rituals, thrissur pooram, vadakumnathan