Kerala longest snake boat enters Guinness book of world recordsOctober 7th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by ANI
By Juhan Samuel
Kochi, Oct.7 (ANI): A steel-made snake boat has entered the Guinness Book of World Records here for recently carrying 141 persons and being the longest ever made boat of its kind. The previous record was of 118 people on board.
A first of its kind in Kerala, the steel boat is 143.25 feet long and 5.74 feet wide. It weighs eight tonnes and has been christened as ”Aries Chundan”.
On May 1, the boat carried a crew of 141 rowers, including five helmsmen, in Punnamada Lake in Alapuzha district.
“We called all our boat rovers in Kainagiri and made an attempt with 141 people on it. This time we have been successful to have so many people on board. Last time, our attempt with 118 persons went in vain,” said Sohan Roy S.K, Chief Executive Officer for ARIES Group.
The boat was already registered in the Limca Book of World Records as the longest steel made snake board.
The special boat has been designed scientifically, as it is based on the latest scientific methods of Naval architecture. The shape and stability has been designed using the world famous ”Autoship” software.
The strength has been analyzed by finite element method. An overhanging test was also conducted to analyze the longitudinal strength practically and a sinking tests to prove its un-sinkability.
“For this design we had to spend about six months because the stability, strength were very critical for us. We had done a practical test on it called the over hanging test which was successful. Next was the immersing test where the boat was put in water,” said Sohan Roy S.K, Chief Executive Officer, ARIES Group.
The boats of Kerala are older than 400 years. They were the traditional battle vessels meant for logistics during war between erstwhile kings.
The boats are categorized and named according to shapes, sizes and purposes. The Chundanvallam is so called because of its pointed prow.
The term snake boat indicates the shape of the stern, which resembles the raised hood of a snake. The front end of this type of boat will be tapering in shape. The rear end will be highly elevated from the water-level.
The annual snake boat race in Alapuzha is a major tourist attraction. (ANI)
- All set for first edition of President's Trophy Boat Race - Aug 28, 2011
- Kerala all set for Nehru Trophy Boat race, Sonia Gandhi to be chief guest - Aug 06, 2009
- Snake Boat Race in Kerala preparations - Jul 29, 2010
- Nehru Boat Race enthralls thousands - Aug 11, 2012
- Kerala gets floating pathology lab - Aug 23, 2011
- Kerala''s famed annual boat race attracts thousands - Aug 10, 2008
- Nehru Boat Race to herald Kerala's new tourist season - Aug 04, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi inaugurates Nehru Trophy Boat Race in Kerala - Aug 08, 2009
- Why physique matters in political leadership - Oct 19, 2011
- Annual Snake Boat Race in Alappuzha fascinates tourists - Aug 15, 2010
- All charged up for Kerala's snake boat race - Aug 03, 2011
- Snake in flight grounds plane - Apr 05, 2012
- Kerala boat race enthralls thousands (Lead) - Aug 08, 2009
- Bond girl Michelle Yeoh in talks to play Aung San Suu Kyi - Dec 09, 2010
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: book of world records, chief executive officer, finite element method, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, helmsmen, kochi, limca book of world records, longest snake, naval architecture, oct 7, prow, rowers, scientific methods, shapes sizes, snake board, snake boat, sohan, steel boat, tonnes