Kerala Govt. to seek Manmohan Singh’s intervention in water disputeJune 15th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram, June 15 (ANI): Kerala’s State Water Resources Minister N K Premachandran on Monday said that CM V. S. Achuthanandan would write to Prime Minister seeking his intervention to resolve the Mullaperiyar reservoir dispute with Tamil Nadu.
This comes in the light of an expert committee warning that the safety of the 100-year-old dam was under threat.
Premachandran while giving details of the Committee’s findings during media interaction here, also said that the committee had suggested that construction work.
He said that the Kerala State Government was awaiting the final verdict of the Supreme Court in the case to proceed further on construction work.
The committee found that there were a number of openings created due to large-scale peeling of plaster and that water seepage through these cavities had increased. It also pointed out that the equipment installed by the Tamil Nadu government to measure the uplift pressure did not yield expected results, he said.
Water storage level in Mullaperiyar reservoir, located in Kerala’s Idduki District and maintained by Tamil Nadu, has been a matter of dispute between the two states.
While Kerala wants to maintain the water level at 136 feet considering the safety of the dam, Tamil Nadu has been insisting on raising the water level to 142 feet.
Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Government has opposed the idea of constructing a new dam. (ANI)
- Tamil Nadu has executed major work at Mullaperiyar: Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- The troubled waters around Mullaperiyar: a ready reckoner - Dec 07, 2011
- Vaiko fumes over dam, Kerala calls him ignorant - May 28, 2010
- Now ad war over Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 19, 2011
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on Mullaperiyar row (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Kerala acting against constitution on Mullaperiyar: Tamil Nadu - Feb 05, 2011
- Jayalalithaa urges Kerala to abide by Supreme Court order - Dec 01, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
- Opposition will raise funds to build new dam: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2011
- Mullaperiyar dam row: Kerala, Tamil Nadu MPs meet PM - Nov 29, 2011
- Don't allow release of 'Dam 999', demands Karunanidhi - Nov 24, 2011
- 'DAMs - The Lethal Water Bomb' bags three awards at LA fest - May 24, 2011
- Water for Tamil Nadu, safety for Kerala: Chandy on Mullaperiyar - Nov 23, 2011
- CPI-M politburo resolution on dam faulty, says Achuthanandan - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: cavities, construction work, expert committee, final verdict, kerala state, manmohan, manmohan singh, media interaction, new dam, old dam, state water resources, storage level, tamil nadu government, two states, uplift, v s achuthanandan, water dispute, water level, water seepage, water storage