Kerala bans mechanised fishing along its costsJune 15th, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvanathapuram, June 15 (ANI): Kerala has banned mechanised fishing during the breeding season.
The ban commencing tomorrow will continue for 47 days. Thousands of mechanised trawlers will stay immobilised during the prime fishing period that will come into effect on June 16.
“As in the last year it is decided that to impose trawling ban for 47 days in Kerala’s costal areas,” said Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan.
The government has made arrangements for free rations to fishermen who work in mechanised boats and those working in prawn peeling sheds during the period of ban.Besides, the government also declared a moratorium on their loans up to November 1.The 47-day ban, being imposed for the last 20 years, bars operations of mechanized trawlers during the monsoons, also the prime breeding season for scores of varieties of sea fish.
Meanwhile, Goa Government’s also ban on fishing, meant to protect the fish breeding season from being disturbed, came into effect from Monday. It will remain in force till July 31.
With the imposition of ban around 1000 fishing vessels will be on shore getting their annual maintenance as all the seven fishing jetties in the state are sealed for any activity.
As per a notification issued by the State government, the mechanized fishing activity is banned from on Monday while the traditional canoes and fishing with small motorboats will continue their fishing occupation.
Goa Government’s ban coincides with the Union Government’s ban on the operation of all deep sea fishing vessels in the Exclusive Economic Zone of the west coast from June 15 to July 31. (ANI)
- Kerala's trawling ban begins June 15; fish to be dearer - May 30, 2011
- Kerala's 47-day trawling ban begins Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- Fish to get dearer with trawling ban ahead - May 26, 2010
- 10 held for fishing near turtle nesting site - Jan 08, 2011
- Tourism eating into Goa's fish? - Jul 11, 2010
- Chhattisgarh bans fishing, one-year jail for violators - Jun 17, 2011
- Trawlers in Goa to get walkie takies to enhance coastal security - Jul 23, 2009
- Goa bans swimming, water sports on beaches for monsoon - Jun 01, 2012
- Fish in Kerala to get dearer as trawling ban begins June 16 - Jun 10, 2009
- As rare Olive Ridleys mate, Orissa mounts vigil - Dec 21, 2010
- 7 sailors rescued off Goa beach - Jul 28, 2012
- Goa's fish haul shrunk 27 percent in five years - Mar 16, 2011
- Wildlife body seeks breeding season ban on river fishing - Jun 18, 2009
- Shooting fish prices eating into Goan festivities - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: annual maintenance, chief minister, costal areas, deep sea fishing, economic zone, fishermen, fishing vessels, goa government, imposition, jetties, monsoons, moratorium, november 1, peeling, rations, sea fish, small motorboats, traditional canoes, trawlers, union government