Katra traders earn profits during ‘Navratra’ festivalMarch 23rd, 2010 - 4:45 pm ICT by ANI
Katra (Jammu and Kashmir), Mar 23 (ANI): Katra traders and businessmen do brisk business on the occasion of the ongoing ‘Navratra’ festival.
Thousands of pilgrims throng here on their way to the Hindu shrine of Vaishno Devi.
Katra, which lies in the foothills of Trikuta is visited by devotees all around the year with about 4000-5000 pilgrims visiting the shrine daily.
This in turn boosts the local economy.
“I have always seen that devotees throng this place during Navratras. The devotees believe that visiting this shrine during this time is very auspicious for them,” said Amarjeet Singh, a restaurant owner.
“So, when the tourist inflow increases each and every community, whether he is a businessman, a shopkeeper or a hotelier, earns profit. The people come here and buy things for their family,” Singh added.
On this occasion around 70-75 lakh devotees visit the Shrine each year.
“There is something very special about this festival, as there is normally not much work to do during the rest of the year; but during Navratras the business is good. We do seventy to hundred percent more business during this time than the whole year,” said Anu Dubey, a shopkeeper.
“People come here to buy things and the whole market place is also cleaned up during this festival,” she added.A pilgrimage to Mata Vaishno Devi shrine during the Navratras is considered most auspicious.
Navratra is celebrated with religious fervour twice in a year, during the spring and the autumn season.
The nine-day festival signifies nine manifestations of Goddess Durga, who stands for power. She is depicted as riding a raging lion, holding weapons in her ten hands.
The shrine of Vaishno Devi is one of the oldest shrines of the country, located at a height of 5,300 feet. (ANI)
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Vaishno Devi devotees face hardship due to security measures near Katra - Sep 25, 2009
- Two Kashmir wrestlers to compete in Pakistan (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,