Katie Price, the Queen are linked in six steps!August 10th, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 10 (ANI): A new study has revealed that there is some sort of social connectivity that is constant in human beings, adding that Katie Price is linked to the Queen.
According to a saying that everyone on the planet is linked by just Six Degrees Of Separation, has now been proved to be true.
The research was carried out by Microsoft, it studied instant messaging systems, and a connection linking Jordan to the Queen in six steps was discovered.
The study further found that Bond hunk Daniel Craig is connected to model Penny Lancaster, and Wayne Rooney to Pamela Anderson.
The phrase six degrees of separation first came into use following a 1960s study by academic Stanley Milgram.
He came up with the idea after he sent letters to a random selection of people in American cities, telling them to pass the note to a certain stockbroker living in Boston if they knew him by name.
If they did not, they had to pass the letter on to someone they thought might have a better chance of knowing him.
The average number of times the letters had to be passed on to reach the stockbroker was six, which is how the phrase was born.
Now Microsoft has gone one step further. It looked at the addresses of 30billion instant messages sent through its network in a month.
Two people were considered to be acquaintances, or separated by one degree, if they communicated with one another through the Microsoft system.
Calculations showed 78percent of users could be connected by an average of 6.6 messages or steps.
Eric Horvitz, one of the Microsoft researchers who took part in the study, said even he was stunned by the result.
What were seeing suggests there may be a social connectivity constant for humanity, Daily Star quoted him as saying.
People have long had this suspicion that we are really close.
But we are now showing, on a very large scale, that this idea goes beyond folklore, he added. (ANI)
- People are separated by just six degrees: study - Aug 04, 2008
- 'Six degrees of separation' applies to Microsoft Messenger users too - Mar 14, 2008
- Six Degrees of Separation theory a fact nearly - Aug 03, 2008
- California Mayor Wants to Broadcast Bird Songs - Jan 29, 2011
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Noisy home leaves UK children 'unable to listen or speak' - Nov 14, 2010
- Google launches custom tailored search feature - Aug 13, 2011
- Anuj Bidve's killer remanded in custody - Jan 02, 2012
- Clue to why women live longer discovered - Aug 04, 2012
- Mobile users in UK turn to free instant messaging for communication - Apr 26, 2011
- O.M.G., it's almost 100 years old! - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Concerned' UK dad develops world's first Facebook bully alert - Apr 08, 2011
- 'A celebrity's life is a vicious cycle' (With Images) - Nov 29, 2011
- 'If Bangladesh grows, northeast India would develop too' - Apr 26, 2012
- Temperatures dip in Punjab, Haryana - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: american cities, better chance, daily star, daniel craig, degrees of separation, eric horvitz, hunk, instant messages, katie price, messaging systems, microsoft researchers, microsoft system, pamela anderson, penny lancaster, random selection, six degrees of separation, six steps, stanley milgram, stockbroker, wayne rooney