Kashmir’s trans-border bridge restoredFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 22 (IANS) The Indian Army has repaired the vital Aman Setu bridge on the Line of Control (LoC) which connects the two parts of divided Kashmir for trade and traffic, an official said here Tuesday.A defence spokesman said that a massive boulder from across the border caused heavy damage to the bridge after a landslide Feb 14, rendering it unsuitable for vehicular traffic.
A team of two officers, two junior commissioned officers (JCOs)and fifteen other ranks commenced work Monday.
“Displaying very high technical skills, defying inclement weather conditions, the team professionally went about their task in repairing the 40×20 feet breach in a record time of four hours, and successfully completed the repair work on the bridge,” the spokesman said.
The Kaman Aman Setu is a vital link which facilitates the Karwan-e-Aman bus service and trans-border trade.
“The efforts of the Indian troops is praiseworthy and was lauded by the trader community and the local people,” the spokesman added.
- Cross-border bus to Pakistan cancelled in Kashmir - Mar 05, 2009
- Trade with Bangladesh resumes after Indian traders end stir - Dec 24, 2011
- BSF, Bangladesh border guards to discuss trans-border issues - Mar 16, 2012
- Heavy rain cause traffic snarls, water logging in Delhi - Aug 19, 2010
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Traders' stir in Tripura continues to hit Indo-Bangla trade - Dec 23, 2011
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- India should boost bus, train services with Pakistan: Book - Apr 15, 2011
- Six abducted by militants in Mizoram - Mar 26, 2012
- Chidambaram lays foundation stone for integrated border check-post - May 17, 2011
- India building international-level checkposts along borders - May 06, 2011
- Defence secretary visits LOC in Kashmir - Sep 05, 2011
- Bomb hoax on Howrah bridge - Sep 25, 2011
- Indian high commissioner to Pakistan visits trading post on LOC - Sep 01, 2009
- Chidambaram's Mizoram visit cancelled due to bad weather - May 18, 2011
Tags: border trade, breach, bridge, bus service, defence spokesman, feb 14, inclement weather conditions, indian army, indian troops, kashmir, landslide, loc, massive boulder, record time, spokesman said that, vehicular traffic