Kashmir’s Sonamarg reopens after winterApril 2nd, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 2 (IANS) After remaining closed for nearly three winter months, the Srinagar-Sonamarg road connecting the picturesque north Kashmir tourist destination with the rest of the country was re-opened Monday.
The road link to the Sonamarg tourist resort was closed Dec 7 last year.
Situated 87 km from Srinagar, Sonamarg, literally meaning “Golden Meadow” in Kashmiri, falls on the Srinagar-Baltal route of the annual Amarnath Cave shrine pilgrimage.
Brigadier T.P.S. Rawat, Chief Engineer, Border Roads Organization (BRO) has personally supervised the opening of the road. Rawat said the Srinagar-Leh road which passes through the Zojila Pass will be re-opened in the first week of May this year.
Sonamarg is the only tourist destination in the Kashmir Valley that remains closed during the winter months due to heavy snowfall in the area.
- Srinagar-Leh highway opens for light vehicles - Apr 25, 2012
- J-K Govt. abolishes toll tax on Srinagar Highway to boost tourism - May 02, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway to open tomorrow - May 01, 2011
- Jammu-Srinagar highway opened again to traffic (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh highway remains closed, says BRO - Mar 31, 2010
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh Highway reopened after snow clearing - Apr 18, 2010
- Border Roads Organisation trying its best to open Srinagar-Leh Highway - Mar 20, 2010
- Traffic restored on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 14, 2012
- Kargil residents demand construction of Zojila Pass tunnel - Jul 17, 2010
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway open to one-way traffic - Jan 10, 2012
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu highway for third day - Jan 08, 2012