Kashmir’s literacy rate rises by 10 percent in 10 yearsMarch 27th, 2011 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Mar.27 (ANI): Teachers in Jammu and Kashmir say that the literacy rate in the state has increased by 10 percent in the last decade.
A report by the state’s Education Ministry recently said male literacy in the region has risen to 75.30 percent and the female literacy rate has touched 57.11 percent.
Tasleema Sheikh, principle of a girl’s school in Srinagar said: ” The survey, which was conducted 10 years back in 2001 stated the literacy rate in Jammu and Kashmir was 55 percent. The latest survey reveals that the literacy rate has increased to 65 percent, which means an increase of 10 percent in 10 years.”
” When the survey was carried out in 2001, the literacy rate of males was 65 percent and the female literacy rate was 41 percent. The recent survey shows that the literacy rate of males has risen to 75 percent and the female literacy rate has risen to 57 percent,” she added.
The reason for the rise in literacy rate is attributed to various schemes sponsored by the government like the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan and others schemes under which the state government constructed schools in far flung rural areas, provided mid-day meals and free books to the poor students.
Currently, 1660000 children are studying in government schools in the state with a total dropout of 39150 as against 376000 in 2004-05.
A total of 680 middle school buildings and 5,467 additional classrooms were constructed in the state during the period.
Aiming to further promote education, the government has also announced free school uniforms for the students who join in the next academic year. (ANI)
- Literacy rises by 9.2 percent, now 74.04 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- More literacy, but improve education quality too: Experts - Apr 10, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Tripura ranks fourth most literate state - Apr 02, 2011
- Kinnaur -- where improved literacy is leading to dismal sex ratio! - Apr 08, 2011
- Census highlights: India home to 17.5 percent of world population - Mar 31, 2011
- Andhra population at 84.6 million, up 11 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- Mizoram, Tripura beat terror past to become literacy front-runners - Apr 04, 2011
- Enrolment of girls at primary level growing: Economic Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- Census 2011: Kashmir's population touches 1.25 crore - Apr 07, 2011
- In two decades, Bihar could have full literacy - Jul 08, 2011
- Growth rate of Tibetan exiles plummets - Dec 11, 2010
- Orissa school girls to get free cycles - Jan 05, 2011
- Sex ratio, literacy rate of Tibetans-in-exile up: survey - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,