Kashmir’s Amarnath pilgrimage postponed, to begin June 15May 26th, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 26 (IANS) The annual pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave shrine in Kashmir that was to begin June 7 has been postponed by a week due to heavy snowfall on the mountainous track to the temple, an official said Tuesday.
The two month long pilgrimage will start June 15 and end Aug 5 this year.
The decision to postpone the pilgrimage date came as the track to the high altitude Amarnath shrine, which houses the ice stalagmite, an icon of Hindu lord Shiva, remains covered under a thick blanket of snow, said an official of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
The board headed by Governor N.N. Vohra manages the annual pilgrimage. Hundreds of thousands of Hindus from all over India visit the cave shrine situated at an altitude of 4,175 meters.
The SASB was at the centre of the Amarnath land row, which saw Hindu-majority Jammu ranged against the Muslim-dominated Kashmir Valley last year, over the allotment of forest land to the temple trust.
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Punjab unrest: Kashmir's Amarnath pilgrimage deferred (Lead) - May 26, 2009
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Kashmir's Amarnath pilgrimage begins June 7 - May 13, 2009
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: allotment, amarnath, blanket of snow, forest land, heavy snowfall, high altitude, himalayan cave, hindus, india visit, jammu, kashmir, kashmir valley, lord shiva, pilgrimage, sasb, shri, shrine board, srinagar, thick blanket, vohra