Kashmir’s Amarnath pilgrimage begins June 7May 13th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 13 (IANS) The annual pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave shrine in Kashmir, which was at the centre of a land row last summer, will begin June 7 and end Aug 5 this year, an official said Wednesday.
The temple trust headed by Governor N.N. Vohra has laid “due emphasis on the preservation and conservation of ecology and environment” of the pilgrimage route, said a spokesman of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
“A plan is also being currently implemented to clean base camp areas and action is underway to collect all plastic and solid wastes to ensure sanitary conditions and a clean environment,” the spokesman said.
The SASB manages the annual pilgrimage to the high altitude Amarnath shrine, which houses the ice stalagmite, an icon of Hindu lord Shiva. Hundreds of thousands of Hindus from all over India visit the cave shrine situated at an altitude of 4,175 meters.
The SASB is planning “a concerted campaign to prohibit the use of plastic bags” in the ecologically delicate areas, the spokesman said.
Vohra, who is the chairman of the temple board, took the decision on the pilgrimage dates after extensive aerial and on-ground surveys in the last two weeks.
“The registration of yatris (pilgrims), on both Pahalgam and Baltal routes, will commence May 20 in 110 designated branches of J&K Bank all over the country,” the spokesman said.
The SASB was at the centre of the Amarnath land row, which saw Hindu-majority Jammu ranged against the Muslim-dominated Kashmir Valley last year, over the allotment of forest land to the temple trust.
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Kashmir's Amarnath pilgrimage postponed, to begin June 15 - May 26, 2009
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Punjab unrest: Kashmir's Amarnath pilgrimage deferred (Lead) - May 26, 2009
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: amarnath, camp areas, clean environment, concerted campaign, delicate areas, due emphasis, ecology and environment, ground surveys, high altitude, himalayan cave, india visit, kashmir valley, lord shiva, pahalgam, pilgrimage route, sanitary conditions, shrine board, solid wastes, temple board, vohra