Kashmiris protest against shutdown calls of separatists in ValleyNovember 7th, 2010 - 10:48 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Nov.7 (ANI): A large number of local residents in Srinagar took to streets in protest of frequent shutdown calls given by the separatists and curfew restrictions imposed by the administration over the past four months.
The Valley has been intermittently under curfew, strikes, protest for months, claiming more than 100 lives in the clash between security forces and stone pelters.
The slogans-shouting protester said that their lives have been thrown out of the gear due to disturbances. In particular, they mentioned the daily wage earners have been the worst hit.
“The normal lives of the people have been hit badly. The present situation has ruined our lives. This curfew has disturbed our lives. People have committing crimes by calling for strikes and clashes. We are unable to work. We want to lead a peaceful life,” said Shabir Ahmad, a local.
The protestors also slammed separatist outfit Hurriyat Conference and its leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani for his failure to resolve the Kashmir issue with a pragmatic approach.
“We want to tell them (Hurriyat), especially Geelani, why are poor people suffering? Why they don’t come on streets as we have come? Why they don’t want to solve the Kashmir dispute?” said Shabnum, another local. (ANI)
- Another day of clashes and curfew in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2010
- Kashmir violence: Curfew in force as separatists plan protests - Aug 10, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite protest shutdown - Oct 07, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Anantnag - Jul 05, 2010
- Money was behind Kashmir protests: Militant leader - Dec 15, 2010
- Curfew clamped in parts of Kashmir Valley - Oct 29, 2010
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Peaceful Diwali expected in valley during two days of 'normalcy' - Nov 04, 2010
- Kashmir separatists, authorities now in 'calender war' - Sep 25, 2010
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Separatists flay Fai arrest, locals don't care - Jul 21, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 18, 2010
- No curfew, separatist shutdown in Srinagar - Oct 16, 2010
Tags: ali shah, clash, clashes, curfew, four months, geelani, kashmir, kashmir dispute, kashmir issue, peaceful life, pragmatic approach, protester, protestors, security forces, separatists, shabir ahmad, slogans, srinagar, strikes, wage earners