Kashmiris protest against killing of two youths in Sopore townFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 10:28 pm ICT by ANI
Baramula, Feb 22 (ANI): A number of agitated Kashmiri people took to street here over the killing of two local youths allegedly by security personnel in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir.
Protesters alleged that security personnel had fired at a group of youth returning from a festival at a Sufi shrine here.
I heard that the army was coming back from an operation and was passing through the route of an on-going fair. The boys on the route hooted on them. In return, the Army personnel retaliated by firing on them leading to their death, said Najir Ahmed, one of the protesters.
Two youth Mohammed Amin Tantray and Firdous Ahmed Khwaja are dead.
Meanwhile, the police filed an F.I.R. and probe in the case.
Baramula Inspector General of Police Gani Mir said, We have registered an First Information Report (FIR) against the Army yesterday after we heard about the death of the youngsters.
However, Police and paramilitary personnel sealed off adjacent areas to prevent more protests. (ANI)
- Two civilians killed in Kashmir firing, probe ordered (Lead) - Feb 22, 2009
- Two civilians killed in Kashmir firing - Feb 21, 2009
- Army men found guilty of killing civilians in Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Sopore Police registers murder case against Army - Feb 22, 2009
- Two killed in Sopore clash, indefinite curfew imposed - Jun 26, 2010
- No firing by our troopers in Kashmir Monday: CRPF chief - Jun 28, 2010
- CRPF Chief denies charges of firing on Sopore protestors - Jun 28, 2010
- Stones pelted at PDP leaders in Sopore - Aug 02, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Fresh tension erupts in Kashmir as 9-year boy dies in firing - Jun 28, 2010
- Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case - Aug 07, 2011
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Two youth killed in Sopore firing - Jun 25, 2010
- Kashmir rights panel chief to probe Sopore firing - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: ahmed, amin, army personnel, fir, gani, information report, inspector general, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmiri people, khwaja, mohammed, protest, protesters, protests, security personnel, youngsters