Kashmiris in India unhappy with Musharraf’s emergency rule in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:27 am ICT by admin
“All the fundamental rights of the people are taken away under emergency, therefore it is not good for any country. It is harmful,” said Abbas Ansari, Senior Leader, All Party Hurriyat Conference (APHC).
Some senior separatist leaders admitting that the Pakistan polity will have a direct effect on them gave a cautious reply and said that they would watch the situation evolving in Pakistan closely.
People on the streets of Srinagar woke up to a Sunday morning with concerns in their mind about the fast changing situation in theirs immediate neighbourhood.
After keeping awake late till midnight to hear Musharraf’s televised address, Kashmiris flipped the newspaper pages for more information on what is happening across the LoC.
“This is not right at all, for the first time, the Supreme Court Judge has been kept under house arrest and it can also have negative impact on the people of Kashmir,” said Nazir Ahmed, a Kashmiri local.
With many of Kashmiris having their relatives on the other side of the border they were concerned about the suspension of fundamental rights and many were seen asking to elders what would it mean for the people of Pakistan.
However, some expressed hopelessness of expecting anything miraculous happening in Pakistan.
“It would remain same,” was the general sentiment about the future of Pakistan here. (ANI)
- What if India, Pakistan freeze Kashmir issue? - Feb 29, 2012
- Only dialogue can solve Kashmir problem: Jethmalani - Jun 02, 2011
- Mirwaiz to highlight last summer's unrest in London - Jan 21, 2011
- Syed Ali Shah Geelani wants Pakistan to step-up diplomatic efforts - Feb 11, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Tension on Kashmir-Punjab border as BJP rally marches on (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Interlocutors' report: Separatists dismissive, mainstream parties dismayed - Oct 13, 2011
- Kashmiri separatists to meet Khar in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- Mirwaiz to highlight last summer's unrest in London (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Clashes in Srinagar after news of assault on Mirwaiz - Nov 25, 2010
- Kashmiri youth seek demilitarisation, more dialogue - Jun 03, 2012
- Geelani to lead funeral prayers for Osama in Kashmir - May 06, 2011
- Mirwaiz, Malik not to meet MPs' team, list dialogue conditions (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Preventing hoisting of national flag undemocratic: BJP - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Kashmiri separatists not taking part in assembly polls' - May 03, 2012
Tags: ansari, aphc, cautious, emergency rule, fundamental rights, happening, hopelessness, house arrest, kashmiri, keeping awake, musharraf, nazir, pakistan, party hurriyat conference, political instability, reply, rights of the people, separatist leaders, srinagar, supreme court judge