Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army menJuly 22nd, 2011 - 12:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 22 (IANS) Police in Jammu and Kashmir have registered a complaint of abduction and rape based on allegations by a woman against two army personnel.
Rukaya Bano, a woman in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district, has alleged that two army men raped her after abducting her when she came out of her home Tuesday.
“She had gone out for ablutions at about 7 p.m. on July 19 and after that she did not return home. She came back July 21,” her relatives told police.
They also said Rukaya had been forcibly detained by the two army men in a meadow hutment for two days.
“We have registered an FIR (First Information Report) based on allegations of abduction and rape by the women. The guilty, whosoever it may be, will be brought to book,” said a senior police officer here.
Massive protests broke out in the area following the woman’s allegations. Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani and Director General of Police (DGP) Kuldeep Khoda visited the area Thursday when the statement of the woman was recorded in Damhal Hanjipora police station there.
Valley-wide protests had erupted in 2009 when two women drowned in a local stream in the adjacent Shopian district. Massive protests and allegations that the duo had been raped and murdered by security men had paralyzed the valley the entire summer of 2009. The CBI probe finally revealed that the duo had drowned and no rape or murder had taken place.
- Woman alleges rape by army men, Omar promises action (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Army orders probe into rape allegations by Kashmir woman (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Army orders probe into Kashmir abduction, rape allegation - Jul 22, 2011
- Identification parade for army men in alleged Kashmir rape - Jul 23, 2011
- Shutdown over alleged rape affects life in Kashmir - Jul 23, 2011
- Pregnant woman abducted,raped; two arrested - Feb 12, 2012
- Two Rajasthan businessmen held for raping Delhi student - Nov 22, 2011
- Trooper arrested for misbehaving with Kashmir girl - Jul 25, 2011
- Kolkata woman who alleged gangrape does volte face - Aug 14, 2012
- Policeman booked for rape in UP - Jul 23, 2012
- Kolkata woman alleges gangrape, one arrested (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Alleged Kashmir rape: Identification parade of army men postponed - Jul 24, 2011
- Armyman held for rape bid in Assam - Jul 15, 2012
- Three held for gang rape in south Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- Two 'rapists' lynched in West Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: abduction, ablutions, army men, army personnel, aslam, cbi probe, dgp, director general, hutment, information report, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, khoda, kuldeep, massive protests, minister of state, police station, security men, south kashmir, wani