Kashmiri separatist leaders placed under house arrestAugust 20th, 2012 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 20 (IANS) Authorities Monday placed all senior Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest to maintain law and order during the congregational Eid prayers in Srinagar.
“These measures have been taken to ensure that nobody disturbs peace and tranquility in the city on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr,” a police official said.
Those placed under house arrest include Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Shabir Shah, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Muhammad Nayeem Khan among others.
Authorities have been preventing the separatists from addressing large public gatherings after the summer unrest of 2010 in which 107 people were killed in clashes between unruly mobs and security forces.
Irate mobs had also indulged in large-scale arson and violence on the day of Eid in 2010.
The central and state governments had blamed the local separatist leaders for inciting people to resort to violence in 2010.
On Eid-ul-Fitr, thousands of locals gather at Eidgahs across the state for thanksgiving at the end of the month of Ramadan.
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Geelani demands release of prisoners before Eid - Aug 19, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Protests erupt in Srinagar after Eid prayers - Sep 11, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Kashmir burns on Eid, Omar slams separatists (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar, FIR against Mirwaiz (Lead) - Sep 12, 2010
- No curfew: Kashmiris shop for Eid a week in advance (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Omar blames Hurriyat Conference leadership for violence on Eid - Sep 11, 2010
- Mob attacks police post near Hazratbal in Srinagar - Sep 11, 2010
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
Tags: arson, eid, eid prayers, eid ul fitr, geelani, house arrest, mirwaiz umar farooq, mobs, muhammad yasin, peace and tranquility, police official, public gatherings, ramadan, separatist leaders, separatists, shabir shah, shah muhammad, state governments, syed ali, yasin malik