Kashmiri Hindus protest against Geelani, Arundhati at seminar (Lead)October 21st, 2010 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) Some Kashmiri Hindu activists created a disturbance as they tried to prevent hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani and author-activist Arundhati Roy from speaking at a seminar here Thursday.
Police, that was already deployed at the seminar venue - LTG Auditorium, whisked away the activists of Panun Kashmir, who were shouting pro-India slogans and waving the national flag at Geelani.
Bedlam ensued at the seminar, organised by The Campaign for Relief of Political Prisoners, as Geelani’s supporters began to raise slogans in his favour and well as for Jammu and Kashmir’s complete independence from India.
Geelani then pacified his supporters, saying their relations with the people of India were based on humanity and they should respect each other’s sentiments even if they differed on ideology.
As Roy, who spoke before Geelani, was giving her speech asking the government not to hold Kashmir against the will of its people, the Panun Kashmir activists threw notebooks and paper missiles at her, demanding to know when they had ever raised the plight of Kashmiri Pandits when they were forced to flee their homes in the Kashmir Valley after the uprising broke out in 1989.
- Kashmiri Hindu activists create ruckus at Geelani seminar (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Kashmiri Hindus protest Geelani event in Delhi - Oct 21, 2010
- 'Free Kashmir' will allow liquor consumption: Geelani (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2010
- BJP women's wing holds protest at Arundhati's house - Oct 31, 2010
- Delhi Police file sedition case against Arundhati, Geelani - Nov 29, 2010
- Social activist files police complaint against Geelani, Arundhati Roy - Oct 29, 2010
- BJP raps government on Geelani meeting in Delhi - Oct 22, 2010
- Too much freedom of speech in India, says Farooq Abdullah - Oct 26, 2010
- Act against Roy, Geelani, demands Kashmiri Pandit group - Oct 26, 2010
- Kashmiri Pandit group files case against Geelani, Roy - Nov 01, 2010
- ABVP workers hurl eggs at Mirwaiz's vehicle in Kolkata - Nov 28, 2010
- Kashmir court won't hear petition against Arundhati Roy - Nov 24, 2011
- Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha activists attack Mirwaiz in New Delhi - Nov 30, 2010
- Book Geelani, Arundhati, says Delhi court (Second Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Hurriyat chief Geelani heckled in Delhi seminar - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: arundhati roy, author activist, bedlam, hindu activists, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmiri hindus, missiles, national flag, New Delhi, pandits, panun kashmir, plight, political prisoners, seminar venue, sentiments, separatist leader, slogans, uprising