Kashmiri folk culture comes alive at R-DayJanuary 26th, 2011 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) The replica of a Sufi shrine, a hut carved in wood, a Chinar tree, folk artists… a typical Kashmiri village came alive on Delhi’s famous Rajpath boulevard here Wednesday.Kashmir’s rich folk culture was showcased by the state’s tableau that rolled down at the Republic Day parade. With song, dance and drama, artists dressed in traditional clothes performed the Bhand Pather - Jammu and Kashmir’s folk theatre.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and his wife Shameema Azad, who hail from the state, smiled and cheered the float.
The tableau was designed by renowned Kashmiri artist Veer Munshi.
Bhand Pather is a traditional cultural soiree performed primarily in rural Kashmir. However, folk artists fear that the culture is dying.
Officials of the Jammu and Kashmir Academy of Art, Culture and Languages, who had sponsored the tableau, said the aim was to stress the need to protect the folk theatre of the valley.
- Air Force adjudged best marching contingent in Republic Day Parade - Jan 30, 2011
- IAF, ITBP adjudged best contingents at Republic Day parade - Jan 30, 2011
- R-Day tableau brings Kashmir culture alive - Jan 26, 2010
- Tableau artists, tribal guests call on Vice President Ansari - Jan 27, 2011
- R-Day tableau displays Kashmir's oneness, architectural heritage - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Fiery chinar leaves lend magic to Kashmir (Feature) - Nov 03, 2011
- Kailash Kher to perform at world Sufi fest - Feb 10, 2012
- Trinidad envoy 'jams' with Kashmiri Sufi band - Sep 15, 2011
- Connecting to roots, homelands with art (Feature) - Jul 25, 2011
- Rajasthan fest to showcase fusion of Indian, western music - Aug 12, 2011
- Remembering Tagore twice over at R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- NSD's Bal Sangam begins from Nov 8 - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: academy of art, aim, art culture, bhand, boulevard, folk artists, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, languages, New Delhi, republic day, rich folk culture, soiree, song dance, tableau, traditional clothes