Kashmir valley receives fresh snowfallFebruary 6th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Feb 6 (ANI): People in Kashmir valley rejoiced fresh snowfall despite disruption in normal life.
The valley, including Srinagar, had snowfall after a long dry spell during the winter season.
The city looked like a picture postcard with trees, houses, gardens and roads all covered in snow.
Heavy to moderate snowfall was also recorded at several other places in Kashmir valley.
Heavy snowfall during winter will assure adequate water supply during summer for agriculture and other needs.
Mainly for this reason, the locals welcome the snowfall, though it caused a slight dip in the temperature with the city recording a low of 3.4 degree Celsius.
State’’s hill resorts Gulmarg and Pahalgam reportedly had heavy snowfall.
Many of the areas in the valley have been cut off from the district headquarters.
The Srinagar-Jammu National Highway has also been closed for traffic.
Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus services had to be suspended on Thursday due to landslides on the road at some places. (ANI)
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley - Feb 14, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Heavy snowfall lashes Kashmir - Jan 15, 2012
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Rain, snow bring down temperatures in Kashmir Valley - Apr 11, 2011
- Valley, Ladakh in for another cold wave spell - Dec 21, 2011
- Traffic restored on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Dec 09, 2011
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Srinagar gets season's first snowfall (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Heavy snowfall halts life in Kashmir Valley - Jan 15, 2011
- Jammu Srinagar highway opened for traffic - Jan 02, 2011
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened for one-way traffic - Jan 01, 2011
- Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10 - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: adequate water supply, agriculture, bus services, degree celsius, disruption, district headquarters, dry spell, gulmarg, heavy snowfall, hill resorts, kashmir, kashmir valley, landslides, locals, pahalgam, picture postcard, s hill, traffic, trees, winter season